Seven people were injured yesterday when a landslide sent rocks crashing down on to a Greek beach packed with tourists.
Shipwreck Beach is a popular tourist spot on Zante and was reportedly full of holidaymakers when the cliff face collapsed. Greek authorities say a landslide at a popular beach on the western island of Zakynthos has resulted in at least one injury, while coast guard officials were seeking to determine whether there were any people missing.
As reported by the Evening Standard, Josh O'Connell, 21, of Kilkenny, Ireland works for a local tour company and described the terrifying scene.
Among those injured was a 34-year-old woman from the Czech Republic, who suffered a fractured vertebra.
He said: "The rock that fell would be like a four-storey building falling on to the beach".
Dolphins swimming in flood water caused by Hurricane Florence
Numerous calls are from residents who are trapped in their homes, some of whom reported floodwater rising up to the second floor. Charlotte and Asheville in North Carolina, and Roanoke, Virginia, could also be in for heavy rains as Florence plods inland.
"There was a noise and a small piece of rock fell, then a second bigger and finally a third big piece of rock that during the fall created a sea whirlpool that overturned the boats", one eyewitness said.
He described the aftermath as "chaos", with families and children running to get to safety on the boats.
"So far, we haven't found any trapped people but we will continue searching", a fire official told the news agency.
Imagine the worst beach trip you possibly can.
The whole beach is surrounded by steep cliffs and can only be reached by boat.
- Woodward: I'll release tapes of book interviews if source asks me to
- Does what the Skripal suspects said add up?
- Manchester City break £500 million revenue barrier
- Polar's newest Global Positioning System heart rate smartwatch lasts for 40 hours
- Hurricane Florence: Storm weakens slightly, still risky
- Kremlin confirms preparations for Putin, Erdogan meeting on Monday
- Manager Mauricio Pochettino demands more desire as Tottenham prepare for Liverpool
- FEMA to test system allowing Trump to send emergency alerts
- Best Apple iPhone XS Max deals, price and pre-order info
- Rangers Add Size To Blue Line, Acquire McQuaid From Bruins