The man, who is the first person in MA to die from wounds he suffered from the shark bites since 1936, was knocked off his board at 12:30 pm and then attacked by the shark, according to Cape Cod National Park Service.
Hurley said the Cape Cod District Attorney will handle an investigation in to the incident.
Officials say the town's beaches will remain closed to swimmers for at least 24 hours.
If confirmed as a shark attack, it would be the first death caused by a shark in MA since 1936, according to sharkattackdata.com, an online database.
A 61-year-old man suffered puncture wounds in a Cape Cod shark attack last month.
Cleveland Browns to release Josh Gordon Monday
Earlier Saturday, the Browns had downgraded Gordon from questionable to out for the Saints game, with a hamstring injury. Although Gordon missed all of training camp and the preseason, he saw plenty of action against the Steelers.
Wendy Northcross, CEO of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, said the Cape doesn't have a lot of experience in how to manage these shark attacks.
He said the man kicked at something behind him, and that there was flicker of a tail from the water. This has turned into Amity Island real quick out here, ' Booth said WBUR.
Mr Booth said the attack victim and his friend were boogie-boarding when the attack happened.
He is the state's first shark attack fatality in more than 80 years.
'I was that guy on the beach screaming "Shark, shark!" "Right spot, wrong time, I guess". Barnstable County Commissioner Ron Beaty said he had warned something like this could happen and urged measures to reduce the number of white sharks.
Shortly after, he was rushed to the Cape Cod Hospital by officials with Wellfleet Fire Department but succumbed to his injuries.
- Israel Attacks Damascus International Airport
- [H]ardOCP: BMW Shows Off Self Driving Motorcycle
- Crucial period for oil as Iran's exports shrink
- Ohio State Claims Big Win Over Texas Christian: Twitter Reacts
- Death toll rises to 11 as Florence continues battering US East Coast
- Texas A&M's Mond recognized by Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award
- Liverpool fans spotted what kept happening with Mane and Salah against Tottenham
- Meghan Markle, True Bridechilla, Skipped *This* Major Pre-Wedding Task
- Border Patrol Agent Arrested By Texas Police For Murdering Four Women
- Florence 'unloading epic amounts of rainfall' in North Carolina