The man, who is the first person in MA to die from wounds he suffered from the shark bites since 1936, was knocked off his board at 12:30 pm and then attacked by the shark, according to Cape Cod National Park Service.
Hurley said the Cape Cod District Attorney will handle an investigation in to the incident.
Officials say the town's beaches will remain closed to swimmers for at least 24 hours.
If confirmed as a shark attack, it would be the first death caused by a shark in MA since 1936, according to sharkattackdata.com, an online database.
A 61-year-old man suffered puncture wounds in a Cape Cod shark attack last month.
Nigeria's Finance Minister Adeosun resigns, Presidency says
The 58-year-old is also a former Exective Secretary of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI). The President thanked the Minister for her services to the nation and wished her well in her future pursuits.
Wendy Northcross, CEO of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, said the Cape doesn't have a lot of experience in how to manage these shark attacks.
He said the man kicked at something behind him, and that there was flicker of a tail from the water. This has turned into Amity Island real quick out here, ' Booth said WBUR.
Mr Booth said the attack victim and his friend were boogie-boarding when the attack happened.
He is the state's first shark attack fatality in more than 80 years.
'I was that guy on the beach screaming "Shark, shark!" "Right spot, wrong time, I guess". Barnstable County Commissioner Ron Beaty said he had warned something like this could happen and urged measures to reduce the number of white sharks.
Shortly after, he was rushed to the Cape Cod Hospital by officials with Wellfleet Fire Department but succumbed to his injuries.
- Ohio State Claims Big Win Over Texas Christian: Twitter Reacts
- Koreas open joint liaison office in North
- Israel Attacks Damascus International Airport
- Meghan Markle, True Bridechilla, Skipped *This* Major Pre-Wedding Task
- Toronto Liberal MPs slam Ford's 'heavy-handed' use of notwithstanding clause
- Hurricane Florence Dumps 'Epic Amounts of Rainfall' On US States
- Florence 'unloading epic amounts of rainfall' in North Carolina
- State reports 3rd case of West Nile in horse population
- [H]ardOCP: BMW Shows Off Self Driving Motorcycle
- Maurizio Sarri invites John Terry to join Chelsea coaching staff