Spurs looked to get back in to the game as a threatening Harry Kane was dispossessed inside the box by Alexander-Arnold before Alisson stopped Christian Eriksen's free-kick after being brought down by Sadio Mane.
Liverpool recorded their fifth Premier League victory in as many games by securing three points against Spurs, thanks to goals from "Gini" Wijnaldum and Roberto Firmino. Firmino's effect on games cannot be measured in goals.
Liverpool are scheduled to play seven games in the next 23 days starting with the weekend's trip to Wembley on Saturday.
Kane, who was the second-highest scorer in the league behind Salah last season, looks in need of a break to rest and recover a tired body.
Such wasteful finishing set up late drama as Lamela pounced on slack set-piece defending before Mane escaped a penalty shout for an untidy challenge on Son Heung-min. That means Tottenham have the quality to strike back, that's what they did after a corner. Liverpool, by contrast, spent more than $220 million on refreshing the squad and is now enjoying its best start since 1990. I don't want to be too critical because I don't know exactly how he said it but sitting in an office and talking about football is completely different to doing the job, to be honest.
'Threat becomes reality': Florence begins days of rain, wind
Duke Energy, a local power company, estimated that up to three million customers could lose their supply as a result of Florence. Emergency declarations were in force in Georgia, South and North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
The second came in the 54th when Mane was able to glide past Trippier.
While competing for the ball, Jan Vertonghen caught the Brazilian with a trailing arm.
"For me the performance was better than the result". We could have scored more, we controlled the game.
Danny Higginbotham believes that Saturday's clash with Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley will suit Liverpool FC.
The Brazil striker was taken to hospital for assessment but was later discharged, with Liverpool saying he has "not been ruled out" of Tuesday's opening Champions League group game against Paris Saint-Germain.
- Florence 'unloading epic amounts of rainfall' in North Carolina
- FEMA uses the Waffle House to determine a hurricane's intensity
- Mobile Launches iPhone Xs BOGO Deal and Free Voice Line
- Canadian pot users could get flagged at U.S. border
- A.J. Green's trio of touchdown for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Gresham inactive, Nkemdiche healthy for Cardinals vs. Redskins
- Nigeria's Finance Minister Adeosun resigns, Presidency says
- On Puerto Rico, Trump Is Right
- Even as Florence weakens, flooding is still a major threat
- Crucial period for oil as Iran's exports shrink