I often wonder why with all the tech out there today, no one has shoehorned autonomy into a classic Bug.
The prototype started life as an R 1200 GS model and comes with an antenna installed on a storage case behind the driver's seat. A BMW R 1200 GS made its first rounds in front of assembled journalists, as if by magic, at the BMW Group testing ground in Miramas, southern France.
There is still ways to go before motorcycle safety technologies catch up to the ones already offered in cars-that is if you're the kind of rider who would welcome these systems with open arms.
Hurricane Florence Reduces Its Intensity But Not Its Destructive Power
The center is slowing down and is expected to stall and perhaps wander around just off shore on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Emergency declarations were in force in Georgia, South and North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
If you thought motorcycles were exempt from the onslaught of self-driving technology, you thought wrong.
BMW hasn't fully disclosed the suite of technology required for its prototype, which allows the bike to ride on its own, but everything required fits into two cases mounted on either side of the seat. It allows the bike to self-balance, accelerate, complete the course on a test track and slow down to a stop. The bike was developed by a team lead by graduate engineer Stefan Hans, and features other technical innovations like a 3D printed frame and carbon components derived from BMW's motorcycle racing division. It will be tested to discover more about risky situations and the appropriate safety tech to support the ride in those.
Although, an entirely autonomous bike could be a pretty cool idea for some of the same reasons that semi-autonomous cars are cool. So you could pull up to your place of work, get off the bike and tell it to go find a spot, just like many auto concepts of today.
- Florence disaster declared in North Carolina as flooding threat grows
- A.J. Green's trio of touchdown for the Cincinnati Bengals
- On Puerto Rico, Trump Is Right
- Koreas open joint liaison office in North
- Taylor remains Browns' starting quarterback
- Gresham inactive, Nkemdiche healthy for Cardinals vs. Redskins
- On video, Delhi cop’s son thrashes woman; arrested after Rajnath Singh intervenes
- State reports 3rd case of West Nile in horse population
- Florence 'unloading epic amounts of rainfall' in North Carolina
- FEMA chief under investigation over use of official cars