Although Gordon missed all of training camp and the preseason, he saw plenty of action against the Steelers.
Earlier Saturday, the Browns had downgraded Gordon from questionable to out for the Saints game, with a hamstring injury.
About five hours later, the team released this statement from John Dorsey: "This afternoon we informed Josh Gordon and his representatives that we are going to release him on Monday".
The Browns have informed wide receiver Josh Gordon they will release him Monday.
Gresham inactive, Nkemdiche healthy for Cardinals vs. Redskins
The Washington Redskins open their 2018 season on Sunday with a trip to Phoenix to play the Arizona Cardinals. Peterson signed a one-year contract with Washington on August 20 for the veteran's minimum of $1.015 million.
"Unfortunately, we've reached a point where we feel it's best to part ways and move forward". According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Gordon suffered the injury during a promotional shoot.
The Browns have stuck with the former All-Pro receiver through multiple suspensions and a long battle with substance abuse issues, so why cut bait now? But given Gordon's talent, it's likely that more than one receiver-needy club will be fascinated by the idea of doing what the Browns ultimately could not: tap into his vast well of talent while also steering him clear of his many troubles. Gordon was ruled out with a hamstring injury and did not travel with the team. Through six seasons, Gordon appeared in 41 games, hauling in 130 catches for 3,106 yards and 16 touchdowns.
The Browns got a glimpse of what a healthy and focused Gordon could do over the last five games of the 2017 season after his return from his latest NFL-mandated suspension, which lasted almost three full seasons.
"I know I'm going to be here playing football, and anything outside of these walls, I think I have the right people in place to help me in any way in which I need them to help me", Gordon told Browns Zone in late August.
- Florence 'unloading epic amounts of rainfall' in North Carolina
- U.S. extends North Korea-related sanctions
- Google might be teasing a mint color for the Pixel 3
- Manager Mauricio Pochettino demands more desire as Tottenham prepare for Liverpool
- Woodward: I'll release tapes of book interviews if source asks me to
- FEMA uses the Waffle House to determine a hurricane's intensity
- Hurricane Florence: Storm weakens slightly, still risky
- Even as Florence weakens, flooding is still a major threat
- A.J. Green's trio of touchdown for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Taylor remains Browns' starting quarterback