Both fighters were cut with Alvarez having one over his left eye and Golovkin cut over the right eye.
Two judges favoured Canelo Alvarez 115-113, while a third had it 114-114. I am a great fighter, and I showed it tonight. "We'll do it, no doubt".
Alvarez is the WBA and WBC middleweight champion after a majority points decision.
The fight, in front of a sellout, celebrity-studded crowd that included Mike Tyson, actor Will Smith and basketballer LeBron James at T-Mobile Arena, lived up to its billing as the best two pound-for-pound fighters in the world. Great fight with two great champions!'
"We knew the best way to beat him was to make him go backwards", Alvarez said.
"Yes, of course we would like to have a third fight and will continue to negotiate about it". Standing in the center in round four, Golovkin connected with a solid right that caught Canelo's attention.
Liverpool a step up for PSG, says Verratti
It was done to perfection. "This is our first defeat of the season, we will work to prepare the next matches, try to take points".
But with scoring already criticised in their first bout before Alvarez's two failed doping tests in February, it is perhaps not surprising that once again controversy will remain attached to this rivalry, with talk of a rematch nearly certain.
"I felt very comfortable", Golovkin said.
The Kazakhstan native will take home a guaranteed £3.1million from the contest - a £765,000 from the first instalment of his fight with Alvarez. Every great fighter has a great rival. He's a great fighter but in the end I got the victory.
Vergil Ortiz Jr. (11-0, 11KOs) of Dallas, Texas defeated Roberto Ortiz (35-3-2, 26KOs) of Torreon, Mexico via technical knockout in the second round of a super lightweight fight originally slated for eight rounds.
Canelo, surrounded by his overjoyed entourage, had the middleweight belts strapped around his waist and draped over his shoulder.
"As a boxer, as a fighter I will continue to do my job".
In essence the judges were only one round adrift and that's how close it was.
- African swine fever cases in Western Europe spark concern
- Manchester City revenue tops £500m and profit soars
- Everything you need to know about Hurricane Florence
- Pokemon Developer Game Freak Reveals New Switch IP Named Town
- Browns to release Josh Gordon
- Four dead as Hurricane Florence continues to slam the Carolinas
- Matthew Perry Just Spent 3 Months in a Hospital Bed
- Boks break nine-year hoodoo by beating All Blacks at home
- Zimbabwe's government criticized over cholera outbreak
- 'Please be careful': NSW mum finds needles in strawberries