He also keeps alive his minuscule hopes of winning the FedEx Cup and its $10 million bonus, but he would need No. 1 seed Bryson DeChambeau to finish the Tour Championship in a two-way tie for 26th or worse, No. 2 seed Rose to finish tied for eighth or worse and more help from the Nos.
That means, of course, that if no more golf is played, Spieth misses out on the Tour Championship by a single spot. After what proved to be an excellent 2017-2018 PGA Tour season, the last 30 players remaining in the FedEx Cup standings are finally ready to tee it up at the Tour Championship, which begins Thursday, Sept. 20 at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta. Justin Rose climbed to second after his second-place finish at the BMW Championship on Monday. Xander Schauffele climbed 23 places to 18th to earn a spot.
"Yeah it has been a goal of mine all season to make it to the Tour Championships, so I'm pretty proud to pull it off", Smith said.
Jordan Spieth and Emiliano Grillo fell out of the top 30, while Bradley made the biggest jump by moving from 52nd to sixth. Then, just when he seemed fated to win his third Masters title, he opened with a 73 and never really contended (T5).
Two years ago, the PGA Tour tweaked its schedule requirements, stating that players must play 25 or more events in a season or add a new event that they have not played in at least four years to their schedule.
Hurricane Florence weakens, but threat remains
European astronaut Alexander Gerst shared images of Florence's eye wall from space, calling the storm a "no-kidding nightmare". Forecasters anxious the storm's damage will be all the worse if it lingers on the coast. "You can't stop Mother Nature".
Last year, Spieth met the 1 in 4 rule and played 24 times.
Marc Leishman is the only other Australian to advance to the Tour Championship and although he is 29th on point he remains upbeat about his chances.
The PGA Tour's regulations stipulate a major penalty, which could be a fine or a suspension, although commissioner Jay Monahan has discretion, and it's unclear if any sanctions would be announced.
"I didn't think that it mattered much but I knew if I could shoot four under, five under in tough conditions that it would make a little bit of a difference". I obviously accept whatever fine it is and move on and try and add one (new event) every year.
- Seahawks Signing LB Mychal Kendricks Despite Guilty Plea for Insider Trading
- Australian officials warn of needle danger for 6 strawberry brands
- Samsung teases October 11th Galaxy event with ‘4x fun’
- Leonard Fournette Doesn't Need To Practice In Order To Face Patriots
- Tracking Hurricane Florence as storm lands in North Carolina
- Government brings in 5 big measures to get widening CAD under control
- Mark Wahlberg wakes up at 2.30am
- Hurricane hits Carolinas, governor warns 'it's going to get worse'
- Jane Doe Victim of 'The Predator' Sex Offender Speaks Out
- Hurricane Florence: Giant, slow-moving storm causes deluge as it makes landfall