Instead, some controversial scorecards were read out en-route to a Majority Draw decision.
That showed at Friday's weigh-in, when the two fighters had to be separated in their only face-to-face appearance before the fight.
"And if he fights him, he's going to get knocked out".
Canelo has contended that the failed drugs test was due to contaminated meat he ingested by accident in his home country of Mexico.
For their first bout previous year, Alvarez earned a guaranteed purse of $5 million while Golovkin made $3 million.
The courageous Armenian lasted all of four minutes and 53 seconds before being clobbered into submission as Golovkin made a statement to his rivals in the division with yet another imposing knockout.
This preview for Canelo vs. Golovkin 2 - "The REMATCH" will give you chills... But it was a tough, competitive matchup that delivered in other ways even without a victor at the end. "It's a little bit different this time, but I believe it will be a big fight for the fans".
U.S. House Speaker Ryan doesn't dispute Puerto Rico death toll
Republicans backed away, disagreeing with the president and saying there was " no reason to dispute " the rigorous research. The president ignited controversy when he tweeted that the approximate 3,000 death toll was inflated by Democrats .
The 2004 Olympic silver medallist, (38-0-1, 34 knockouts), has repeatedly accused his Mexican opponent of doping, raising the temperature in Las Vegas this week by voicing his suspicions again.
The fight, which carries a pay-per-view price tag of $84.95, is big for the careers of both men. Alvarez said he thought he won seven or eight rounds, while Golovkin disagreed.
Regardless, he was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission before being handed a six-month ban, backdated from February, forcing him to pull out of the agreed rematch with Golovkin.
A stony-faced Alvarez meanwhile claimed a psychological victory.
Abel Sanchez, who has trained Golovkin at his gym in the San Bernardino Mountains outside Los Angeles since 2011, agrees.
A bout that was a thriller first time round. The rematch is sold out, but a lackluster promotion might make it more hard to sell as many pay-per-views as the two fighters did when they first met.
- Millions on US East Coast brace for 'extremely dangerous' Hurricane Florence
- Australians told to chop strawberries as police investigate needles found in fruit
- Hurricane Florence Hits Outer Banks Home on Stilts With Storm Surge
- Cancer deaths expected to increase this year
- Government brings in 5 big measures to get widening CAD under control
- Dont play games with it: Florence takes aim at Carolinas
- North Devon GP urges people to get flu jab
- A tricked-out iPhone XS Max costs more than a MacBook
- IPhone X Cases Will Fit iPhone XS And Vice Versa
- As Florence Surges Forward, Rethinking What Hurricane Preparation Looks Like