The woman, identified only as Kay, managed to stay afloat for 10 hours in the Adriatic Sea, long enough to be rescued by a Croatian cruise ship that scrambled into action upon getting a coast guard alert, per Sky News.
The cruise passenger also said according to the BBC that she fell off the back of the ship.
There has been no explanation yet of what caused the woman to fall overboard. however, the British Embassy in Croatia is investigating the incident.
She fell from the Norwegian Star cruise ship, about 95 kilometres off Croatia's coast shortly before midnight Saturday.
The ship's captain, Lovro Oreskovic, said that she was exhausted.
Winx surpasses Black Caviar with record-breaking win
I think that's helped us preserve her and helped her keep that inspiration to do what she does. "That has to be a big part of it". If successful, she will pass the previous Australian record of 25 straight victories set by legendary galloper Black Caviar .
"A report was made that a guest aboard Norwegian Star had gone overboard while the ship was returning to Venice", a spokesperson for the cruise liner told The Independent.
The 46-year-old said she felt "very lucky" to have survived the ordeal and thanked her "wonderful" rescuers as she was taken to a hospital in the Croatian town of Pula. The coastguard was notified and a search and rescue operation ensued. The vessel was coming towards the end of the voyage and was sailing back to its home port when the woman fell overboard. the ship is scheduled to arrive back in Venice on August 19.
"We are pleased to advise that the guest was found alive and is now in a stable condition", a statement from the cruise liner announced on Sunday.
The woman was found and saved some ten hours later.
'We were extremely happy for saving a human life'.
- Alaska man gets life in prison for Florida airport shooting
- Chelsea leave nervous Sarri craving a smoke
- Paul Pogba: 'Brighton had more hunger - we did not deserve to win'
- Misery for Mourinho as uninspired Man United lose at Brighton
- #MeToo activist Asia Argento reportedly settled sexual assault suit
- Malaysia stun champions South Korea
- ICE Detains Man Driving His Wife To Hospital For Planned C-Section
- Nurses Who Work In The Same ICU Are Pregnant
- IndyCar racer Robert Wickens' frightening crash halts Pocono race
- Kevin Spacey’s latest film earns only 126 dollars on opening day