The SEC became interested in the subject after Musk announced his brilliant idea and added that funding for taking Tesla private has been secured. The company's stock is down almost 3% as of this writing.
The SEC and Tesla declined to comment on the reports.
Earlier this week, Musk said his funding claims referred to conversations with the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, which he said had approached him "multiple times" about taking the electric vehicle company private.
Some Tesla board members were reportedly caught off guard by Musk's tweets and have urged the controversial chief executive to stop using the social media platform.
U.S. Secretary of State names Brian Hook special envoy for Iran
The agreement saw Iran drastically scale back its nuclear programme in exchange for lifting economic sanctions. On Monday, Iran's supreme leader rejected the possibility of talks with President Trump.
The subpoena signals regulators have now opened a formal investigation into whether Musk was telling the truth in his tweet about have financing locked up for a deal that analysts have estimated would require US$25 billion (NZ$38 billion) to US$50b.
The fledgling EV makers shares fell as much as 4% but cut their losses after Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE:GS) said it was dropping equity coverage of Tesla because it is acting as a financial adviser on a matter related to the automaker.
More Money: Priced out of the market? However, as of August 14, Goldman was still negotiating its terms of engagement with Musk, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Tesla says it has formed a special committee of three independent directors to asses any proposal from Mr Musk.
- Pep Guardiola Plans To Take Down Manchester United
- Pereira earns first Brazil call-up as Gabriel Jesus left out
- Garbine Muguruza: Spanish defending champion beaten by Lesia Tsurenko in Cincinnati
- Zephyrus S gaming laptop unveiled by ASUS with thinner design
- Safety is Maryland's focus after McNair death
- Battlefield V's battle royale mode has the prettiest circle of death
- Justin Bieber's dad welcomes baby girl
- Bobbi Kristina’s Friend Who Found Her In Bathtub Dies Of Apparent Overdose
- Donald Trump says Bruce Ohr next to lose security clearance
- What Google changed in its location-tracking explanation