The SEC became interested in the subject after Musk announced his brilliant idea and added that funding for taking Tesla private has been secured. The company's stock is down almost 3% as of this writing.
The SEC and Tesla declined to comment on the reports.
Earlier this week, Musk said his funding claims referred to conversations with the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, which he said had approached him "multiple times" about taking the electric vehicle company private.
Some Tesla board members were reportedly caught off guard by Musk's tweets and have urged the controversial chief executive to stop using the social media platform.
Former United Nations chief Kofi Annan dies aged 80
But, the spokesperson said, Annan did not believe that the United Nations should actively campaign for gay marriage. His career at the United Nations began in 1962 with a budget officer role at the World Health Organization.
The subpoena signals regulators have now opened a formal investigation into whether Musk was telling the truth in his tweet about have financing locked up for a deal that analysts have estimated would require US$25 billion (NZ$38 billion) to US$50b.
The fledgling EV makers shares fell as much as 4% but cut their losses after Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE:GS) said it was dropping equity coverage of Tesla because it is acting as a financial adviser on a matter related to the automaker.
More Money: Priced out of the market? However, as of August 14, Goldman was still negotiating its terms of engagement with Musk, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Tesla says it has formed a special committee of three independent directors to asses any proposal from Mr Musk.
- Pereira earns first Brazil call-up as Gabriel Jesus left out
- Justin Bieber's dad welcomes baby girl
- President Trump Casually Suggests Giving Analysts Several Months Of Their Lives Back
- Damon Lindelof’s Pilot Picked Up To Series By HBO
- What Google changed in its location-tracking explanation
- Pep Guardiola Plans To Take Down Manchester United
- The Diablo 3 Switch Port Took 9 Months
- Celebrations begin for Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas' engagement
- Amazon Working on Tablo-Like Networked DVR
- Rangers turn your run-of-the-mill 5-4 triple play