Parades, patriotic songs and award ceremonies are also held throughout Pakistan.
Flag hoisting ceremonies were held in the provincial capitals as well as district headquarters.
President Mamnoon Hussain on Tuesday emphasized the need for strengthening state institutions to take collective decisions concerning the country.
Muhammad Ali Jinnah was the first governor-general of Pakistan, and Liaqat Ali Khan (R), its first prime minister.
The party is taking place during a time of change in Pakistan.
"Happy Independence Day to #India, our neighbors across the border".
Flights between Colombo and Kochi cancelled until Saturday
Fifty two have been killed in the worst floods since 1924, and over 1,00,000 people have been sent to relief camps. Forty-two people have died since August 8 after floods hit Kerala, and around 60,000 people have been displaced.
The president said the people of the country exercised their right to vote on July 25.
Terming Pakistan as an "exception blessing" of God, he said the objective behind the formation of the country was to free humans from the slavery of other humans so they could live their lives freely without fear of exploitation.
At the Pakistan Embassy in Riyadh hundreds of Pakistani expatriates watched as Pakistan's Ambassador, Khan Hasham Bin Saddique, hoisted the national flag.
Hours before Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived at the Red Fort to deliver his annual August 15 speech, Nawaz Sharif - until recently his Pakistani counterpart - cut a cake in a Rawalpindi jail to celebrate his nation's Independence Day. He also urged the worldwide community to raise their voice so that the Kashmir people could get their inalienable right. "I sincerely hope that from this year onwards, both Pakistan and India work towards resolving their issues for a better, peaceful and prosperous region where India Pak cricket matches can also be frequently held", wrote Afridi, who also fondly known as Boom Boom.
Pakistan's Independence Day is celebrated with special prayers in mosques - centred around peace and security of the country.
The two self-governing countries came into existence at midnight on August 15 1947, yet Pakistan celebrate this a day earlier.
- Donald Trump revokes security clearance of former Central Intelligence Agency director John Brennan
- Man City MF De Bruyne injured in training
- Lynx Star Lindsay Whalen Says She'll Retire At End of Season
- Turkey hikes tariffs on imports of several United States products
- Remember Carmen Soo? She's in 'Crazy Rich Asians,' too
- Nvidia teaser suggests GeForce RTX 2080 will launch next week
- Korean President Pledges 'Bold Step' with N. Korea's Kim in Ending War
- Pound US Dollar (GBP/USD) Exchange Rate Restrained by Global Unease
- Trump mulls axing ex-officials' security clearance
- Kobe's $6M investment in BodyArmor now worth $200M