With the game only eight minutes old, Vertonghen, fresh from Belgium's third-placed World Cup finish, gave the visitors the lead when his header against the underside of the crossbar was adjudged to have crossed the line by goal-line technology.
All the goals came inside the opening 18 minutes as Joselu cancelled out Jan Vertonghen's opener before Alli struck to start Tottenham's season with a win.
Pochettino continued: "I told them yesterday, for me, it's like we start from zero".
The Premier League is finally back.
Pochettino's belief is strengthened by Tottenham's success in persuading a number of key players, including England striker Harry Kane - the World Cup golden boot victor - to sign new contracts.
However, just 149 seconds later the hosts restored parity when Joselu converted a wicked delivery from the impressive Matt Ritchie to send the Newcastle faithful into raptures.
Speaking in an interview with Sky Sports, Merson said: "This is a tough one".
Discord is opening up its own storefront
This will also serve as a discovery service that will promote games with a boutique feel according to the announcement. Discord thinks that kind of thing could "reduce clutter" and make it easier to find the kind of game you want.
Kenedy was undoubtedly their key man, piercing Spurs' defence with some searching balls over the top but his fellow Magpies were unable to get on the end of them.
Until that point Spurs were quite in control and had the upper hand on the scoreboard thanks to Jan Vertonghen's close-range effort. Perhaps assisted by his country's World Cup absence, Spurs were spared sustained worries over Eriksen's future.
Mauricio Pochettino has not brought any new signings in at Tottenham (Picture: Getty Images)When is Newcaslte vs Tottenham?
MF Luke Amos, NR - Got his Premier League debut in the closing minutes and, though he had few touches, looked at home.
The gong could have also been awarded to Jan Vertonghen, but it was apt that England midfielder Alli scored the victor after a busy summer.
"If you cannot add players who can improve your squad, the most important thing is to make sure you do not lose your best player".
He took up a position on the left of midfield, regularly helping Ben Davies, and gained possession nine times for Spurs, more than any of his team-mates.
- Koepka takes 2-shot lead at PGA Championship
- Chelsea have Premier League title advantage over Man City and Liverpool
- Kanye West Drops New Song, ‘XTCY’
- Bielsa Won’t Get Carried Away After Leeds Hammer Lampard’s Derby
- Maurizio Sarri reveals why Chelsea star left Stamford Bridge on deadline day
- Emery Expects Tough Arsenal, City Premier League Debut
- Mechanic steals empty plane from Seattle's airport, crashes
- Turkey's president: United States waging "economic war" against Turkey
- Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker: 'I want to justify price-tag'
- NASA Launches Mission to 'Touch the Sun'