U.S. space agency Nasa has launched its mission to send a satellite closer to the Sun than any before.
"The sun is full of mysteries", said Nicky Fox, project scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab.
The delicate instrument comes equipped with an array of instruments and tools which will scan the Sun for solar winds and magnetic fields.
Instead, it will fly into the sun's atmosphere, where it will observe from a "safe distance" of approximately four million miles away from the star's surface - protected by a "cutting-edge heat shield".
As the Parker Solar Probe probe orbits the sun, it will experience extreme radiation and temperatures as high as 1,377C - close to the melting point of steel.
Not only is the corona about 300 times hotter than the Sun's surface, but it also hurls powerful plasma and energetic particles that can unleash geomagnetic space storms, wreaking havoc on Earth by disrupting the power grid.
To "touch" the sun, the spacecraft will make a swing by Venus to shed some of its sideways momentum, allowing it to take a more straight shot toward the center of the solar system.
The measurements and imaging captured by the Parker Solar Probe will "revolutionise our understanding of the corona and the Sun-Earth connection", Nasa revealed.
Blade Runner's Sean Young wanted for questioning by NYPD
Notably, she appeared in the TNT drama The Alienist , which starred famed actress Dakota Fanning . Young worked at the location sometime in the past but was sacked months ago, TMZ reported.
The problem on Saturday had to do with the gaseous helium pressure alarm on the spacecraft, officials said early Saturday.
"We are ready. We have the flawless payload".
The spacecraft has been named after 91-year-old astrophysicist Eugene Parker, who was one of the many spectators who arrived at the launch site to watch the historic moment. "We know the questions we want to answer".
The probe is the first NASA spacecraft with a living namesake.
Parker said last week that he was "impressed" by the Parker Solar Probe, calling it "a very complex machine".
No human-made vehicle has ever come so close - leading the American space agency to claim the probe will "touch" the sun.
The probe is created to plunge into the Sun's atmosphere, known as the corona, during a seven-year mission. "Each time we fly by, we get closer and closer to the Sun".
- Storm swamps Tiger's charge as Woodland leads rain-hit PGA
- Tsitsipas upsets Djokovic to reach Rogers Cup quarterfinals
- Justin Bieber Gets New Haircut With Hailey Baldwin Following Tears Fest
- England vs India 2nd Test, Day 3: Hosts lose openers Jennings, Cook
- Florida police union rescinds ticket discounts amid NFL National Anthem protests
- Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth Are Causing Star Trek 4 Problems
- Pogba leads Manchester United to winning Premier League start
- Discord is opening up its own storefront
- Mechanic steals empty plane from Seattle's airport, crashes
- Authorities probe how 'suicidal' employee could steal plane