"My view is that it is hard for me to believe that we finished second", he said.
Manchester United have been hit by injuries throughout the pre-season tour of the United States and there are plenty of first-team stars that have only just returned from their holidays due to exploits in the World Cup this summer.
"It is hard to believe that we finished second". We spoke to Kompany and Walker and they seem so intent to not drop below the mentality and standards they achieved past year.
"You also have to consider that Liverpool are City's Kryptonite".
'In fact I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that by May the title will be back on Merseyside for the first time in 29 years'.
As for the challengers, then.
"Liverpool are a real problem", began Neville, cautiously.
Mina, Gomes: Everton sign Barça pair, plus Shakhtar's Bernard
He has played 14 times for Brazil , scoring once, with his last worldwide appearance coming at the 2014 World Cup . He said: "I worked hard during my holiday and now I am ready to play and do important things with the Club".
I think Liverpool need to go out of the Champions League pre Christmas to have a good chance of winning the league.
"I will focus on the players that are available, so I am not even thinking about that list of injured players I gave you, (Nemanja) Matic, (Antonio) Valencia and so on".
By contrast, fellow promoted side Cardiff City had endured a poor transfer window in the eyes of many after missing out on several targets, but they at least bolstered their midfield options with Harry Arter and Victor Camarasa on Thursday.
"The challenge for them is can they repeat that level of energy and that level of focus every three days?, but they are a challenge this year, Liverpool".
United should be challenging.
All of the Everton and Fulham dealings materialised close to the deadline, while the early stages of the day were dominated by Chelsea, who confirmed Mateo Kovacic's arrival after signing Kepa Arrizabalaga late on Wednesday. A club that's spent the money they've spent in the past few seasons and the players they've got [should be challenging]. That's an obscene amount of talent.
United have until 5 p.m on Thursday to add new players ahead of the start of the season.
Gary Neville was speaking to promote Cadbury as the official snack partner of the Premier League.
- How to watch the PGA Championship on Eleven Sports
- At least 20 dead after airstrike hits bus carrying children in Yemen
- Jose Mourinho working on £89m Milinkovic-Savic deal
- Saudi Arabia Suspends Flights to Canada, Withdraws Students from Universities
- Cam Newton, Kelvin Benjamin Have Awkward Exchange Before Panthers-Bills Preseason Game
- Leaked recording: Nunes says Rosenstein impeachment would delay Supreme Court pick
- Kawhi thanks SA in 1st statement since trade
- Henderson in contention for opener, says Klopp
- Abby Huntsman to depart Fox for ABC's 'The View'
- Barcelona 'insert £54m buy-back clause' into Yerry Mina's Everton deal