An explosion caused by lava oozing into the ocean sent molten rock crashing through the roof of a sightseeing boat off Big Island, injuring 23 people Monday, officials said.
A woman in her 20s was left in serious condition with a broken thigh bone after the incident. There were a total of 52 people on board at the time of the accident.
The Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) said the boat was operated by Lava Ocean Tours, one of at least three companies offering daily excursions to passengers who pay around $220 per person to watch from a vessel lava flowing into the sea. Eyewitness video footage from a nearby vessel showed a towering cloud of steam and ash billowing into the sky, punctuated by the glow of red-hot embers and flashes of lightning.
A tiny island that formed last week off the coast of Hawaii's Big Island from Kilauea volcano lava is no more.
Trump invites Putin to Washington in the fall
The muddied waters have deepened critics' concerns that Trump is not taking threats to the USA electoral system seriously enough. Coats explained of his reasoning and his relations with Trump: 'We started a good relationship.
A "collapse explosion" at the summit of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano has sent a surge of lava that destroyed structures in an evacuated housing development, geologists and civil defense authorities said. The lava punctured the boat's roof, leaving a gaping hole, firefighters said. Lava is entering the ocean and producing a large laze plume.
The people were aboard a tour boat that takes visitors to see lava plunging into the ocean.
Hawaii's Kīlauea Volcano continues to belch ash and molten rock since it first erupted in May, and the constant lava flows have created a tiny peninsula off the northern edge of the USA state.
- Spain drops arrest warrants for former Catalan leader Puigdemont
- ‘Treasure ship’ claim raises eyebrows in South Korea
- Cliff Richard: BBC bosses 'should carry the can'
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Liverpool fans pranked by USA comedian Alison Becker over goalkeeper signing
- Trump Putin: Democrats call for interpreter to testify
- PeeCee wraps up Liam Hemsworth starrer Isn't It Romantic
- Trump Doesn’t Get Why U.S. Has to Defend NATO Allies
- Larry Nassar sex abuse victims honored with Arthur Ashe Courage Award
- Leicester eye Liverpool goalkeeper as Kasper Schmeichel Chelsea deal edges closer