A Pennsylvania woman has been charged with killing her 11-week-old son with a lethal mix of drugs in her breast milk. Jones' bail was set at $3 million cash, the statement said.
Jones told police that she had been prescribed methadone because of an addiction to painkillers, that she had taken it during her pregnancy, and that she was taking it at the time of the baby's death, the affidavit said. Jones was asleep and R.J. was crying, the affidavit said. She told investigators initially that she had switched to formula the afternoon before the baby's death so she could "re-up her supply", the document said.
The affidavit also revealed what Jones said happened leading up to finding her son that fateful morning.
When her husband and R.J.'s dad, Vincent McGovern, got up around 6 a.m., he found them in different rooms and R.J. was crying in his while Jones was sleeping. Jones' mother called the cops and reportedly tried CPR. She awakened an hour later to find the infant pale, with bloody mucous coming from his nose, according to the affidavit. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8:29 a.m.
Villagers kill hundreds of crocodiles after death of local man
This photo on July 14, 2018 shows dead crocodiles slaughtered by a mob in Sorong in Indonesia's Papua province. Local police said they could not stop the slaughter but may now press charges against those responsible.
In 2002, California mother Amy Prien was charged with second-degree murder after the coroner's office confirmed that her 3-month-old son overdosed on methamphetamine, which entered his system through breast milk.
"The benefits of breastfeeding largely outweigh any theoretical minimal risks", the article states. And in 2012, a California woman whose infant son died after ingesting methamphetamine-laced breast milk was sentenced to six years in prison.
A separate article in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology though says mothers should avoid breastfeeding for 48 hours after recreational amphetamine use. She has another child - a 2-year-old son - who is now in the care of his father.
In court Friday, Busico, Jones' lawyer, said she had "suffered the biggest loss any human being can suffer", the Intelligencer reported. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 23.
- Trump raves about 'beautiful' Queen, makes confusing United Kingdom comment
- President Trump, Vladimir Putin hold high-stakes meeting in Helsinki
- Donald Trump Good Morning Britain: Piers Morgan grills US President on Brexit
- Netflix plunges 14% after it misses expectations on revenue and subscriber additions
- Nathan Fillion Is Nathan Drake In Incredible 'Uncharted' Fan Film
- Photos of the christening of Prince Louis - cute! - CBBC Newsround
- Girl, 7, Killed Trying to Get Help After Dad Crashes Car
- US charges Russian lady with conspiracy to act as Kremlin agent
- Putin summit opens without talk of election meddling
- Another hot, humid day with afternoon storms possible