Canada and the United States found common ground Wednesday as both expressed concerns over a proposed Russian energy pipeline to Germany.
And we stressed our well-known concerns about Nord Stream 2, Sefcovic said at a press conference on Thursday after the EU-U.S. Energy Council held in Brussels. The pipeline makes good economic sense, though, because energy prices in Western Europe are dependent on Russian Federation, and numerous pipelines crossing through Ukraine into the European Union can not be maintained.
The company set up to build Russia's new natural gas pipeline to Europe hit back at criticism from U.S. President Donald Trump, noting that building the link doesn't require anyone to buy the fuel.
"I have to say, I think it's very sad when Germany makes a massive oil and gas deal with Russia, where you're supposed to be guarding against Russia, and Germany goes out and pays billions and billions of dollars a year to Russia". Russian President Vladimir Putin said later that the project's implementation did not imply the end of the Ukrainian gas transit if it proved economically feasible.
Trump took aim at the project which is set to run from Russian Federation to Germany under the Baltic Sea, where preparatory work for its construction began off the German and Finnish coasts in May.
In particular, Denmark may block or delay the construction of Nord stream-2 through its territorial waters. Canada has been explicit in their global communications with many countries.
Kevin Anderson's comments following record-breaking Wimbledon victory are very revealing
The last set alone lasted five minutes shy of three hours and Anderson said it was unfair on both players. Anderson finished with 49 aces and 118 winners; Isner had 53 aces and 129 winners.
Andriy Shevchenko, Ukraine's ambassador to Canada, said he was "very pleased" with Freeland's statement Wednesday. In Department believe that the pipeline would undermine energy security and stability of Europe.
Several eastern European countries oppose the pipeline, saying it would give the Kremlin greater sway over the energy needs of the entire continent.
He also added that during the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit the issue of the Nord Stream 2 project took a significant part of the discussion during his bilateral meetings with the heads of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member states.
"We discussed it with Ukraine", Freeland said.
"I've experienced myself a part of Germany controlled by the Soviet Union", she said.
- Heinrich: Trump Administration's Health Care Sabotage Will Increase Premiums For New Mexicans
- Downton Abbey movie going into production later this summer
- Team Emirates Martin wins 6th sixth stage as Van Avermaet keeps yellow
- Russian Federation complains FYROM being sucked into North Atlantic Treaty Organisation by force
- Iranian Supreme Leader's Adviser Hails 'Very Constructive' Meeting With Putin
- Xherdan Shaqiri: First official snaps of new Liverpool star wearing the kit
- Surprise! Kate Middleton makes appearance with royal family at RAF celebration
- Trump says committed to North Atlantic Treaty Organisation as allies agree to boost defense spending
- America has just one Blockbuster store left
- China's trade surplus widens in June as imports drop