In the near future, humans might be able to leave earth after eating breakfast, arriving at the space station in time for lunch. The robotic Progress 70 freighter, which loaded with almost 3 tons of food, fuel and other reserves landed with the station at 9:31 p.m. EDT succeeding a finish a mere two orbits of Earth.
The previous record was 5 hours 39 minutes, according to the Russian news agency RIA Novosti. But when Progress 70 undocks from the ISS, it will take something else back home with it: the entire Pirs docking compartment. Now, Russia has proven that humans can get to space significantly faster. Previously resupply missions with "Progress" spacecraft have taken either six hours (four orbits) or two days (34 orbits).
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com's tidbits for July 9, 2018: fastest-ever Progress docking with ISS; but is Russia's space program entering the "dark ages"? Ultimately, Progress 69 launched on the 2-day flight profile as well. "Third time was the charm".
20 most-popular iPhone apps of all time
Better with Moment cases: The only app specifically created to work with the Moment Battery Photo Case and Original Photo Case. To commemorate the event, Apple not only released the stunning iPhone X , but a major redesign to the App Store as well.
Russia's space agency, Roscosmos, attributed the speedy delivery time and fewer loops around the Earth's orbit to the improved capacity of the Soyuz 2.1 carrier rocket. The vehicles look like Russia's crewed, three-module Soyuz spacecraft but can not carry people. That mission, HTV-7, will take about 4 hours to reach the ISS after launching from Japan's Tanegashima Space Center.
By the time the Progress spacecraft separated from its upper stage booster eight minutes and 45 second after takeoff, the lab complex was expected to be 1,004 miles ahead with both spacecraft in the same orbital plane.
- Here’s the heartwarming story of why the Gboard Morse Code option exists
- Trump tweets 'very nice' letter from North Korea's Kim
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 1803 Update KB4338819 for Patch Tuesday
- Trump confidant says President had 'love fest' with May despite critical interview
- British Diver Who Helped Rescue Trapped Boys in Thailand Returns to UK
- Supreme Court nominations made, Trump may have none to go
- Ronaldo's Juve move sparks strike in Italy
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit: Trump hails alliance spending promises after crisis meeting
- New Ariel Atom 4 track auto revealed with 320bhp
- United States to impose tariffs on $200 billion Chinese imports