Emergency response crews mobilized early Tuesday morning for a report of a plane, holding 11 people on board, that crashed near Ketchikan. Some were taken to a medical center in Ketchikan, but no details about their condition have been released.
Eleven people were rescued Tuesday after a floatplane crashed about 40 miles southwest of Ketchikan, Alaska, officials said. "This one had a good outcome so far", he said.
The survivors were transported by helicopter to a staging area on the eastern end of the island en route to Ketchikan, where they were evaluated before being taken to Ketchikan General Hospital.
A Coast Guard spokesperson said all on board were alive, but some had been injured in the crash.
"We had, I don't know how many, but I think probably every ambulance in town" responded, said Chris John, an incident commander with the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad. The downed aircraft had an emergency locator that aided rescue efforts.
Donald Trump shares letter from Kim Jong Un, says ‘progress being made!’
Both sides were expected to discuss the timeline and ways in which remains of American soldiers would be returned at the meeting. In a post on Twitter, Mr Trump said the letter, dated July 6, was very nice and was a sign of " Great progress being made! ".
The crash site is 2,000 feet above sea level in a mountainous area.
Clint Johnson, the National Transportation Safety Board's Alaska chief, said the crashed aircraft was a de Havilland DHC-3T Turbine Otter. Alaska State Troopers have identified the plane as a Taquan Air flight.
Charly Hengen, public information officer for USCG, said that the pilot said there were no fatalities at the time the crash was called in, but that several injuries were reported. "It is imperative we understand the factors surrounding this incident to help prevent similar ones".
The pilot was flying from Prince of Wales Island and bound for Ketchikan when the crash occurred, according to the Troopers.
The heavily-forested island near the southern tip of the Alaska Panhandle, is the fourth largest island in the United States.
- Trump lashes out at North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies calling for increase in defence spending
- Will the Trump baby balloon fly over Parliament Square tomorrow?
- Who is Brett Kavanaugh, Trump’s Nominee to the Supreme Court?
- FBI Agent: 'Disgusting' Comments On Gold Star Family Inspired Anti-Trump Texts
- Trade and tea with queen for Trump in a Britain in 'turmoil'
- Exhausted Croatia must draw on reserves for France final
- Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, rocked many looks during Ireland visit
- Tottenham Set to Obstruct Arsenal Transfer Plans for Barcelona Midfielder Andre Gomes
- Serena rolls past Goerges to return to Wimbledon final
- Apple and Blackmagic Teamed Up on an External GPU for MacBook Pros