Egypt's Marsd News reported that the explosion occurred in the airport's main fuel tank, accounting for the size and intensity of the blast, but it appears the blast may have actually occurred at a fuel depot just outside the airport. The blast was loud enough for residents across the Egyptian capital to hear it and photos already show a huge cloud of smoke rising from the site that one can see from many blocks away.
There has been an explosion near Cairo International Airport in Egypt.
The Minister of Civil aviation issued an official statement in which he said that the incident did, indeed, occur outside of the airport, at a fuel tanker, near the Joseph Tito axe, and that all flights were resuming as scheduled. Eyewitnesses report that the explosion was not inside the airport.
Watch the Mary Queen of Scots Trailer Starring Saoirse Ronan
Queen of Scots, which took shape as a bitter and ultimately tragic royal rivalry. Mary keeps bringing up her claim to the English throne, and violence ensues.
The area was cordoned off by a strong police presence, according to an AFP correspondent on site, who said fire engines and emergency vehicles were sent to fight the flames and help the wounded.
"Due to high temperatures, an explosion happened at a petrochemicals storage belonging to the Heliopolis for Chemical Industries", said Colonel Tamer al-Rifai, the military spokesman, in a social media posting.
The incident will further heighten tensions in the country, with the airport the scene of a terror attack which claimed the lives of all 224 passengers on board Metrojet Flight 9268 in 2015, which an investigation suggested was the result of a bomb smuggled on board.
- Assad's flag raised in birthplace of Syrian uprising
- Barcelona prioritising Hazard signing over Tottenham playmaker Eriksen
- Judge again delays sentencing for Michael Flynn, Trump's former national security advisor
- Trump confidant says President had 'love fest' with May despite critical interview
- Emmett Till Murder Investigation Reopened Due to 'New Information'
- Trump tweets 'very nice' letter from North Korea's Kim
- A primer to save on Amazon Prime Day
- Typhoon Maria wreaks havoc along China's east coast
- Pro-choice, LGBT advocates call for rejection of Kavanaugh
- Mercedes: Ferrari F1 first lap clashes 'deliberate or incompetence'