The Syrian army says it has finally made its way into the city of Dara'a after weeks of battles with foreign-backed militants.
President Bashar al-Assad's forces are maintaining pressure on Eastern Ghouta with arrests, military conscriptions and restricted food supplies months after the capture of the Damascus suburb in order to assert the government's grip over the former rebel stronghold.
But Jaish Khaled bin Walid, a local IS branch that controls a small corner in the southwest of the province, on the border with Jordan and close to the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, is not included in that deal.
"It is a strategic and a symbolic win for the Syrian government".
Assad's forces, along with Russian troops, entered the city after an agreement with rebels, who surrendered in exchange for amnesty or safe passage to other rebel-held areas.
Syrian forces are seen in the Nasib border crossing with Jordan in Dara'a, Syria, July 7, 2018.
Chu Ready to Adapt Thai Rescue Story
He's got a very bouncy Australian accent and they [the rescued boys] seemed to find that quite relaxing and reassuring. They will remain in hospital in the nearby city of Chiang Rai for a week, followed by a week's recuperation at home.
A convoy of Russian military police was expected to enter the devastated area later on Thursday in the first such deployment inside the enclave where they were expected to set up observation posts and perform security duties.
Measures to implement the so-called reconciliation deal for rebel-held parts of the city had not yet been implemented, it said.
In retaliation, the government and its ally Russian Federation pounded rebel-held areas in the coastal province of Latakia and neighbouring Idlib on Tuesday, killing four civilians, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
However, the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said that a Daesh-affiliated terrorist group had seized a village in southern Syria from militants who had agreed to hand back the area under their control to Damascus, a Britain-based monitor said Thursday.
Syria's official SANA news agency reported that Tafas residents had welcomed the Syrian army units and participated in a ceremony to hoist the national flag over the city council.
"Eight regime and opposition fighters who recently reconciled were killed in a suicide vehicle bomb attack targeting a military position in Zaizun", said Rami Abdel Rahman, who heads the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
- Manny Machado Trade Talks Make Focusing Difficult
- Major League Baseball to consider taking Justin Verlander's advice on All-Star voting
- Trump tweets 'very nice' letter from North Korea's Kim
- Watch the Mary Queen of Scots Trailer Starring Saoirse Ronan
- Judge again delays sentencing for Michael Flynn, Trump's former national security advisor
- Fire rekindles at Glass Nickel Pizza in Sun Prairie
- Ahead Of Nawaz Sharif's Arrival In Pakistan Today, Gag Order On Media
- Mercedes: Ferrari F1 first lap clashes 'deliberate or incompetence'
- Emmett Till Murder Investigation Reopened Due to 'New Information'
- Meghan Markle Changed Her Outfit Five Times In 24 Hours