It was the pair's third meeting in the past four Grand Slams, with Nadal coming out in both the previous encounters - and it followed suit after a dramatic five-setter.
"Sorry to Juan Martin, he's an awesome opponent and player".
The timing of this one - a match that's decider was described by Andy Murray in the BBC commentary box as "one of the best sets of tennis I have ever seen live" - was somewhat unfortunate as it clashed with England's World Cup semi-final. He's an incredible opponent, an unbelievable player, in some ways he deserves the victory too'.
Just 90 minutes after defending champion Roger Federer was sensationally knocked out by South African Kevin Anderson on Wednesday, it seemed as if the grasscourt major would lose its top two seeds as Argentine Del Potro took a two-sets-to-one lead.
The fourth-round match resumed on Tuesday afternoon after bad light had stopped play on Monday with the Argentinian leading by two sets to one.
England vs Croatia Match Preview
We can feel the energy and feel support from home and it's a very special feeling, a privilege for us. England threatened again off a set piece in the 14th minute, with Harry Maguire, scorer of a goal vs.
After Nadal squandered four set points in the third set tiebreak, with a double fault on one of them, Del Potro made him pay as he pounced on his first chance to raise the prospect of another astonishing upset on day nine of the championships.
Del Potro trailed 1-3 but at 5-5 he fired down a swinging ace to reach match point number five and this time Simon cracked, netting a backhand to the relief of the Argetine who roared his approval. Nadal broke for 3-2 but had to save break points in the sixth and eighth games before securing a memorable victory.
On match point, he serve-and-volleyed into Del Potro's backhand but had an open court in which to play the victor after his opponent slipped behind the baseline. He played very smart point.
Del Potro should have levelled moments later.
And he served it out to book a tie with three-time champion Djokovic.
- West Ham sign former Arsenal midfielder Wilshere on three-year deal
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4's optional keyboard cover and stylus exposed
- Cardi B Countersues Ex-Manager Shaft, Asking for $15 Million in Damages
- Rafa Benitez gives his verdict on England's World Cup hopes
- Photo of DJI's upcoming Mavic 2 leaked online hints at swappable cameras
- World Cup semi-final England v Croatia
- What is Kylie Jenner's Net Worth?
- PayPal slammed after telling customer that her death 'breached its rules'
- Slew of resignations in United Kingdom 'a good week for Brexit' - Simon Coveney
- Airbus to design new Mars rover