No team has ever made it to the World Cup final after going to extra-time in all three prior knockout rounds - England twice won in extra-time in 1990 before losing on penalties to West Germany in the semi-finals.
With three straight extra-time matches, Croatia has played the equivalent a full 90-minute match more than France has through six games in Russian Federation.
Just before the extra time began, Peard said he was hopeful England would pull through and turn the game around, although he wasn't feeling particularly good after Croatia scored their first goal.
France and Croatia will fight for the right to be called the World Cup champion.
Asked how far he thought the still young England team could progress in the next World Cup, he said: "This far, if not the final".
Croatia's Mario Mandzukic, left, dropped more than $A5,000 on the bar tab.
Croatia into the World Cup Final!
The result of Wednesday's World Cup semi-final between England and Croatia was always going to be historic. They said what? Gary Lineker, former England striker, now pundit: "Dig deep, breathe, start again".
"They've taken the nation with them".
"We blew our chances", 17-year-old Josh Ogunde said after watching the 2-1 semi-final defeat with friends near Trafalgar Square in central London as the disappointed crowds streamed home. "We picked it up in the first half of extra time, but after that, when they got that last goal, they dominated completely", he said. We will want to give a performance of huge pride. There will in time be positives to take, it's very hard now to put that into context, it's a bit too soon, really, because I think you have to suffer the result a little bit.
Dalic was only appointed as Croatia coach towards the end of their qualifying campaign, leading them to Russian Federation via a play-off win against Greece.
The penalty shootout win against hosts Russian Federation in the quarter-finals on Sunday seems to have gone a long way towards achieving that.
"We've been always returning to the 1998 team, putting a new burden on Modric and his team".
Officers from Durham Constabulary said that when the Three Lions beat Sweden in Saturday's quarter-final game, the force had its busiest night of the year.
- Wimbledon 2018 -- Kevin Anderson stays cool despite Roger Federer upset
- England nowhere near their potential, says manager Gareth Southgate
- England vs Croatia Match Preview
- Monster crocodile finally caught after 10 years on the run
- West Ham sign former Arsenal midfielder Wilshere on three-year deal
- Criminal case sheds light on Apple self-driving car technology
- On this Day in 1998, Croatia Won World Cup Bronze
- PayPal slammed after telling customer that her death 'breached its rules'
- Wimbledon relaxes cellphone ban ahead of World Cup semifinal
- Israel Intercepts Incoming Drone from Syria