BMC Racing finished the 35-kilometer stage three in 38 minutes and 46 seconds.
What had once been viewed as an opportunity to make time had become a chance to gain it back after Froome lost 51 seconds to his main rivals on Saturday.
Movistar could only manage 10th place on the day, 50 seconds off Team Sky's pace, which means Froome is nearly back on level terms with Mikel Landa and Alejandro Valverde, while Nairo Quintana dropped even further back after his opening day woes.
"I don't think it is a bad thing to have the yellow jersey for a team looking for a sponsor", said Porte, who crashed out of last year's Tour and lost time in Stage 1 of this edition.
Team time trials test the both the strength and emotional harmony of a team, with the rules structured to prevent the strongest riders making a solo charge and forcing each squad to make hard decisions over whether to leave team-mates behind, and there were indications of splits and frustrations in several groups.
Jamie Vardy sends Gareth Southgate update ahead of World Cup semi-final
England head into the game as favourites with the bookies but most expect a tight and exhilarating encounter. Croatia have needed penalty shoot-outs to overcome Denmark and Russian Federation in the knockout stage.
"We expected some crashes in this tricky final and moved up early", said Enrico Poitschke, sports director of Sagan's Bora-Hansgrohe team. It would have been nice not to have lost it in the first place.
"There was way too much wind for me", said the slightly-built Porte.
"In the meantime, Team Sunweb kept Tom Dumoulin at the business end of the overall standings with a ride of 38'58", conceding just 11 seconds to BMC.
BMC Racing were four seconds quicker than their nearest rivals, Team Sky, in the stage three team time trial.
Among the overall favourites, Dumoulin was seventh (11 seconds behind), last year's runner-up Rigoberto Uran was 10th (:35), Porte was 14th (:51), Movistar teammates Alejandro Valverde and Mikel Landa were 17th (:53), Froome was 18th (:55), Adam Yates was 20th (1:00) and 2014 champion Vincenzo Nibali was 22nd (1:06). "It's a long way to go, we still have six more hectic days and then we have also got the Alps and the Pyrenees".
Thomas, who wore yellow for four days past year, said that he was not bothered by the...
- Prince Louis christened while beaming royal family look on
- Abortion rights under threat with Trump's new Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh
- George Clooney reportedly injured after motorbike crash in Sardinia
- General France vs Belgium: All star combined best XI 6 hours ago
- At least 134 confirmed dead as Japan combs through mud for missing
- Prince Louis' Godparents Compared To Princess Charlotte & Prince George's: The Major Differences
- England can win Cup: 1966 hat-trick hero
- Mom is only survivor of car crash that killed husband, 4 daughters
- Microsoft entry-level Surface Go launched to take on iPad, Chromebooks
- Royal Family steps out for Prince Louis' christening