Jurgen Klopp has identified the Switzerland global as one who can bolster his attacking options, while the presence of a release clause in the 26-year-old's contract makes a deal a financially attractive one.
The Switzerland global is keen to leave Stoke after their relegation from the Premier League and is reported to have a release clause in his contract, although the exact details of that remain unknown.
The forward has been a player on Liverpool's radar since 2014 as the club, then managed by Brendan Rodgers, tried to prise him away from Bayern Munich, who blocked the deal, according to the player.
Prince Louis christened at private ceremony
Royal children typically get multiple godparents: Prince Charles has eight, Prince William has six and Prince George has seven. The Duchess of Cambridge appeared to make a special gesture to involve her tragic mother-in-law in her grandson's christening.
Since their season ended with defeat in the Champions League final to Real Madrid, Liverpool have added Brazilian midfielder Fabinho to their side from AS Monaco.
Meanwhile, Shaqiri has made it clear that his future lies in the Premier League, having said: "You are going to hear soon on my future". A deal for the Lyon captain may yet be resurrected after France's World Cup campaign, however.
Shaqiri arrived at Stoke three years ago but has openly admitted he wants to play elsewhere after the club were relegated at the end of last season.
Calls for Liverpool to sign a goalkeeper were intensified after Loris Karius' mistake against Tranmere this week, but the club have made no progress with regards to a move for Alisson Becker, their preferred target.
- United Kingdom watchdog ICO fines Facebook £500,000 over Cambridge Analytica
- Fine imposed on Facebook over user privacy - United Kingdom lawmaker
- Eric Dier: 'England teammate Kieran Trippier deserves recognition'
- Eden Hazard makes huge statement on Chelsea future amid Real Madrid rumours
- 'Good Friends' Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin Make Out in NYC Park
- Nobel laureate's widow is freed from house arrest, allowed to leave China
- ANP leader Haroon Bilour among 12 killed in Peshawar blast, police say
- 'Not good - the best': Thai rescue chief hails Aussie cave hero
- Leicester look to reward Harry Maguire, and fend off interest
- Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Real Madrid to sign with Juventus