Germany were knocked out of the World Cup in the group stages following eye-catching defeats against Mexico and South Korea.
Bierhoff says he and head coach Joachim Loew should have seriously considered leaving Ozil out of the final squad for Russian Federation.
"I think he will step down. In my opinion, it is aimed at saving one's own skin", Mustafa Ozil told Bild.
"[Ozil] no longer wants to explain himself, he no longer wants to have to defend himself all the time".
UK PM Seeks Unity Amid Turmoil Over Brexit Strategy
Ian Lavery, chairman of the main opposition Labour Party, said, "This is absolute chaos and Theresa May has no authority left". If 48 MPs declare they have no confidence in the Prime Minister, it will trigger a leadership contest.
Yet this meeting drew a lot of criticism from German fans because they believed it was a sign he is not truly loyal to his country - not to mention that President Erdoğan has been labelled a dictator for his controversial policies in Turkey.
Ozil senior said that Mesut was being made a scapegoat for Germany's failures in Russian Federation. "I can understand if he feels insulted", said the midfielder's father.
And he added: "The hurt has grown too strong". And who knows what'll happen at the next match. He's played in the national team for nine years moreover, became a world champion.
Ozil has still not commented, however, which is something DFB chief Reinhard Grindel says needs to be rectified.
"The fact that Mesut and Ilkay took the pictures did not bother the team so much, but the debate went on and, in retrospect, I would have tried to deal with this issue more decisively", Bierhoff admitted in the Die Welt interview.
I would personally be very surprised if he dons the Germany shirt ever again after the disgusting scenes when the Germans were knocked out of the World Cup, and Ozil showed his massive disappointment in his treatment by the fans.
- Ironic twist to French fears in semi-final win, says Lloris
- 19 injured, 1 dead in South Africa plane crash
- ANP leader Haroon Bilour among 12 killed in Peshawar blast, police say
- RESCUE: More brought out of Thai cave, fears of infection
- Ondaatje's The English Patient wins Golden Man Booker Prize
- Prince Louis christened at private ceremony
- 'Not good - the best': Thai rescue chief hails Aussie cave hero
- Harry and Meghan due in Dublin for two-day visit
- Kawhi Leonard Rumors: NBA Executive Expects Spurs To Trade Disgruntled Star
- British man poisoned with Novichok regains consciousness - hospital