The Golden Man Booker, the one-off award marking the Man Booker Prize's 50thanniversary celebrations, was chosen by the public and revealed on Sunday.
He also said he suspected the Oscar-winning adaptation starring Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche and Kristen Scott Thomas "probably had something to do with the result of this vote".
The novel, a work of historical fiction that takes place in Italy during the Second World War, originally won the prestigious English-language literary prize in 1992 as well as the Governor General's Literary Award. The victor was revealed at the Man Booker 50 Festival in London's Royal Festival Hall on Sunday.
The English Patient, the 1992 Booker Prize victor, was declared the overall victor of the Golden Man Booker Prize in the 50 year history of the award at the Man Booker 50 Festival in London's Royal Festival Hall on Sunday.
Disney Will Release MARY POPPINS RETURNS Sooner Than Expected
Harrison Ford will return as Indiana Jones , and Steven Spielberg will direct, with Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall producing. Despite the release date not being for another couple of years, production on Maleficent 2 is already underway.
Born in 1943 in Sri Lanka when it was known as Ceylon, Mr. Ondaatje now lives in Canada.
All 51 previous Booker winners were considered by a panel of judges, who whittled them down to one from each decade.
The five selected novels were then put to a public vote. The book was adapted into a 1996 film by Anthony Minghella.
Judge Kamila Shamsie said the story was truly "transformative" as she explained why she had selected it as the victor of the 90s.
The English Patient is a tale on love and conflict and according to Judge Kamila Shamsie, it is a "rare novel which gets under your skin".
The other judges of the Golden Man Booker were writer and editor Robert McCrum, poet Lemn Sissay, broadcaster Simon Mayo and poet Hollie McNish.
- Erdogan to take oath as Turkey’s1st Executive President with vast powers
- 19 injured, 1 dead in South Africa plane crash
- Meghan and Harry join the Queen at RAF centenary service
- Ironic twist to French fears in semi-final win, says Lloris
- British man poisoned with Novichok regains consciousness - hospital
- How to Watch the France vs
- Woolworths recalls frozen rice over Listeria concerns
- Fine imposed on Facebook over user privacy - United Kingdom lawmaker
- Trump suggests North Atlantic Treaty Organisation members reimburse USA for defense costs
- Serena Williams comes back to reach Wimbledon semifinals