She was then sentenced to eight years in prison.
In the video, Mazbouh claimed she was subjected to verbal sexual harassment in a Cairo street, describing Egyptians as "the dirtiest people in the world".
She also accused men of sexually harassing her and even called Egyptian women "prostitutes".
The allegations drew a strong reaction online, with some Egyptians calling for Mazbouh's arrest and lodging a complaint against her.
Of course, God willing, the verdict will change.
George Clooney Taken to Hospital After Accident
Clooney was travelling towards the set in Costa Corallina when a auto suddenly turned and struck him, according to La Nuova . Add George Clooney as an interest to stay up to date on the latest George Clooney news, video, and analysis from ABC News .
The attorney-general chose to refer the accused al-Mazbouh to an urgent criminal trial for deliberately broadcasting rumors that would harm the community; this is in addition to her producing content considered a disgrace to public modesty through her Facebook page. She also expressed her disgust at the standards of Egyptian restaurants, and insulted President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi saying the country "deserved what its president was doing to it". "It is in the context of the law, but the court was applying the maximum penalty", he said.
On July 29, an appeals court will hear the case, which represents one more chance for el-Mazboh to get a reduced sentence. Mazbouh also mentioned a previous visit to Egypt during which she was robbed of money.
Kamal further explained that Mazbouh suffers from depression and struggles to control her anger due to the removal of her brain clot in a 2006 surgery.
In June, Egypt's parliament approved a bill placing social media accounts, blogs and websites with more than 5,000 followers under the supervision of the country's top media regulatory body.
A final reading of the bill has yet to take place before its ratified by the president.
- Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Real Madrid to sign with Juventus
- Supreme Court refuses to adjourn hearing on pleas challenging Section 377
- United Kingdom watchdog ICO fines Facebook £500,000 over Cambridge Analytica
- Meghan and Harry Help Honor Royal Air Force
- US President Donald Trump ‘destabilising’ oil market, says Iran
- Nobel laureate's widow is freed from house arrest, allowed to leave China
- Where to score a selfie with Trump Baby in London
- Riyad Mahrez set to join Man City from Leicester this week
- 'Good Friends' Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin Make Out in NYC Park
- Ondaatje's The English Patient wins Golden Man Booker Prize