"Within 24 hours, Mr. Trump can change his position by 180 degrees", said Lindner, although he warned against growing anti-American sentiments given that the United States was and would remain Germany's closest ally. Trump asked Putin in a November phone call, according to one senior official.
European activists are protesting US President Donald Trump's upcoming appearance at North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, marching through Belgium's capital to plead for less military spending and more public money for schools and clean energy.
A third of active-duty US military troops overseas - more than 60,000 - are stationed in Europe, including 35,000 in Germany, 12,000 in Italy, 8,500 in the United Kingdom and 3,300 in Spain, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of information from the Defense Manpower Data Center, a statistical arm of the Defense Department.
European Union officials also contend European Union tariffs on most US imports are already low.
European leaders are reportedly nervous that President Donald Trump will make good on his campaign promise to withdraw USA troops from the continent if host countries fail to pay their fair share for defense. "The United States is not going to take care of everything", Trump told a rally last week, adding: "They kill us on trade".
Rudy Giuliani says Michael Cohen should cooperate with federal investigators
The biggest question hanging over the investigation right now is whether or not Trump will sit down with Mueller for an interview. He called it "the most corrupt investigation I have ever seen", taking his cue from the president.
In recent weeks, Trump suggested withdrawing more than 25,000 US troops stationed in South Korea after trying to persuade Kim to rid his country of nuclear weapons.
Christian Lindner, head of the pro-business Free Democrats, told Deutschlandfunk in an interview that he did not trust Trump, and his actions on trade and in the security arena were not in the United States' long term interest.
"One and a half per cent is not 2 percent", he told Bild am Sonntag newspaper. Roy Blunt (R-MO) cautioned that President Donald Trump should remember Russian President Vladimir Putin is not his friend.
The White House declined to say if and how Trump might punish the countries. Jeff Flake, a frequent critic of President Donald Trump, said he is concerned about what Trump might promise Russian President Vladimir Putin when the two meet this month.
"I think he's comfortable with the team he's put around himself for the first time in his presidency, and hopefully, that will show up in these talks", he concluded.
- Gal Gadot visits Virginia children's hospital in 'Wonder Woman' costume
- Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin engaged after one month of dating
- Interim OPCW report finds proof of chlorine used in Syria's Douma
- FMR President Trump Campaign Aid Seeks Trial Move, Postponement
- Netflix mulling over 'Ultra' subscription for $17 per month
- 'Disorganized' Tropical Storm Beryl moving a little faster, but blowing no harder
- Dutch-based speed trader moves into crypto ETN market
- Ant-Man and the Wasp Gets Really Big Opening Weekend
- Lewis Hamilton questions Ferrari 'tactics' - British Grand Prix 2018
- May claims victory in uniting 'fractious' cabinet over Brexit