According to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a civil war watchdog, Iranian troops and non-Syrian pro-Iranian forces were the strike's intended targets.
Iranian forces were killed on Sunday in airstrikes that hit the Syrian regime linked T-4 base, located between the cities of Homs and Palmyra.
'Our air defence systems thwarted an Israeli aggression and brought down a number of missiles that were targeting the T4 airport, ' it cited a military source as saying.
Unconfirmed reports said that the jets flew in via Jordan and passed over the al-Tanf area where the United States has a military base and Al Jazeera reported that between four to six missile struck the base causing material damage.
The agency said that Syrian forces "hit one of the attacking warplanes and forced the others to leave the airspaces (sic)".
Damascus, as well as its allies Iran and Russian Federation, said Israel was responsible for an April 9 air strike on the same Homs base, an attack that killed seven Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) members.
Rescuers have freed four boys trapped in Thai cave
Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda told reporters the rescued boys were in good health in hospital but did not give details. So far the only direct contact has been through handwritten notes from the boys - and replies from their parents.
Israel has reportedly carried out scores of air strikes in Syria, largely targeting advanced weapons it believed destined for Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon. In response, Israel launched an extensive campaign of strikes on Iranian targets in Syria including "intelligence sites, logistic facilities, military compounds, storage facilities as well as observations posts".
"At the meeting I will reiterate the two basic principles of Israel's policy: First, we will not tolerate the establishment of a military presence by Iran and its proxies anywhere in Syria - not close to the border and not far away from it".
In February, an armed Iranian drone infiltrated into northern Israel in which the IDF claims was on a sabotage attack mission against the Jewish State.
Israel has not acknowledged the incident, and says they do not respond to reports that emerged from foreign media.
"The consequences are not merely to the Iranian forces there but to the Assad regime as well", he said.
- Jordan Pickford wants to create history after ex-Sunderland star's England heroics
- Kylie Jenner says she \"got rid of all my filler\"
- Teen Arrested for Provocative Dance
- South Koreas Moon, Modi to open worlds largest cellphone factory in Noida
- Lonnie Walker improves in second National Basketball Association summer league game
- Banning plastic straws is more scam than science
- Brexit: UK’s new stance ‘won’t protect Scotland’, claims Mike Russell
- Chinese premier praises European Union, says free trade must be upheld
- David Davis quits as Brexit Secretary leaving Theresa May facing a crisis
- Antonio Conte at Chelsea training ground with future still in doubt