A mosquito pool in Boston's Jamaica Plain neighborhood has tested positive for West Nile virus, health officials announced Friday.
Certain species of mosquitoes carry WNV, which, when transmitted to people, can cause West Nile encephalitis, an infection that can result in an inflammation of the brain. In 2017, for example, Cameron County, on the very tip of Texas, reported 14 confirmed cases of Zika Virus, and 26 cases of Zika the year before.
Insect repellents that contain DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus are effective but should be used with care.
Consider wearing long-sleeved shirts, long trousers and socks when outdoors, particularly when mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, or in areas known for having large numbers of mosquitoes.
Limit outdoor activities during peak mosquito times. "Residents can help prevent these mosquitoes from breeding by eliminating areas of stagnant water from their properties - items like buckets, gutters and plant containers, kiddie pools, and any other items holding water around homes and businesses - can become breeding sites".
Robin Wright Describes Working With Kevin Spacey In Interview
The actress goes on to describe Spacey as an "incredible craftsman". Prosecutors in LA are now reviewing charges against him.
In order to test for West Nile virus, the mosquitoes must be alive.
State health officials, a part of the Bristol County Mosquito Control Project, sprayed pesticides in parks, including Buttonwood Park, Brooklawn Park and Fort Taber, and throughout downtown early this morning.
No humans have tested positive for the virus, according to the city of Worcester.
"With two mosquito-borne viruses now active in the Coachella Valley, it is more important than ever for people to protect themselves from mosquito bites, " district spokeswoman Jill Oviatt said. "Just one bite from an infected mosquito could change your future". If you think you have symptoms of West Nile Virus, see your doctor right away. In some individuals, severe illness including meningitis or encephalitis, or even death, can occur.
Original source can be found here.
- F1 driver Brendon Hartley walks away from scary crash at Silverstone
- Teen Arrested for Provocative Dance
- Trade war begins between China, US as tariffs kick in
- England fans celebrate as team make it to semi-final
- Oil dips in nervous trading as U.S.-China trade war looms
- UK Brexit ministers Davis and Baker quit in major blow to May
- Why Rafa Nadal won’t make the semis, and who can challenge Serena?
- Nirbhaya gang rape: Supreme Court to decide on death sentence, Monday
- Banning plastic straws is more scam than science
- Travis Pastrana nails all three of Evel Knievel's most famous jumps