The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes star last worked with Abrams on 2006's Mission: Impossible III, but the moviemaker is now looking to cast her in the new sci-fi epic, which he is writing and directing.
The news comes from Variety, who doesn't have any specifics about who Russell will play, except to say "the role calls for action-heavy fight scenes".
Charges laid in Humboldt Broncos bus crash that killed 16 people
He was arrested by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) at his home in Calgary, Alberta. Thirteen more people were injured. "Every piece of information was carefully examined".
Beyond that, little is known about the core plot, but today brings forth our first peek at the show's ensemble cast - a cast that is naturally divided between the dark side and the light.
Abrams and Lucasfilm execs had been meeting with several actresses for the role for the past two months and settled on Russell right before the Fourth of July holiday. Abrams will likely cast two more actors by the time the film begins production at the end of the month.
J.J. Abrams also co-wrote the script with Chris Terrio (Justice League, Argo). Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac are all expected to return for the latest Star Wars installment. Previously set for a May 24, 2019 release date, the film will now arrive on December 20, 2019.
- Man who challenged black mom at pool loses job
- Credits Scene For Ant-Man and the Wasp Leaks Online (SPOILERS)
- Japan Executes Leader of Doomsday Cult
- Syrian rebels and Russian Federation ceasefire deal breaks down
- Thai authorities say boat death toll at 10
- Sebastian Vettel hits out at Formula One penalty system
- HHS now estimates under 3,000 kids separated from parents in government custody
- Beryl becomes first hurricane of 2018's Atlantic hurricane season
- Trump warns North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies to spend more on defense or else
- Trump Mocks Sen. Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas", Attacks #MeToo