While Jordan Henderson saw his penalty saved, Mateus Uribe's attempt rattled the bar and goalkeeper Jordan Pickford denied Carlos Bacca as Eric Dier stepped up to secure a 4-3 win that will live long in the memory.
While he would be unlikely to start the fixture against Sweden anyway, manager Gareth Southgate will hope to have the 31-year-old available to provide a different option if things aren't going to plan. "I don't care if I'm not the biggest keeper because it's about being there in the moment and making the save, and I was", he said in his post match interview.
England's penalty-shootout win against Colombia in the World Cup round of 16 provided the sign, the surety, and the greatest underscoring possible that this England side is not inextricably chained to their demons of major tournaments past.
England looked to be heading into the last eight courtesy of Harry's 57th-minute penalty in Moscow, but the towering Yerry Mina headed in a stoppage-time equaliser before a match littered with fouls went to a shootout.
Southgate's squad were due to take part in a light training session in Repino on Wednesday afternoon as part of the recovery process and will fly to Samara on Friday. Hopefully it will give belief to the generations of players that follow.
England won a penalty shoot out at the World Cup for the first time ever and the nation was watching.
New Cervical Cancer Screening Method Is More Accurate Than Pap Smears
Women whose smear test results show possible low-grade or borderline changes to cells will have the sample tested for HPV. Even the most ideal tests can also be limited by the fact that not all women are receiving regular and timely screening.
"I have got power and agility". Courtois claimed that Pickford was "too short" to keep out the strike that helped Belgium claim a 1-0 win over England in Kaliningrad.
"It was a top-class save, I'm surprised he could reach it given his height", Southgate said with a wry smile.
Reports have it the English FA was looking at techniques to employ to improve England's dismal record in the penalty shootouts.
England now face Sweden in the quarter-finals in Samara at 3pm United Kingdom time on Saturday.
"I am really proud of the way my team played", Southgate said.
- Thai official says boys may be taken out of cave in stages
- Georgia's Fromm suffers fracture in non-throwing hand
- Greenpeace attacks French nuclear plant to show that it can be attacked
- Belgium ready for defining game against Brazil, says Vincent Kompany
- NASA's Dawn Probe Beams Photos of Dwarf Planet Ceres Back to Earth
- Lakers rise on National Basketball Association championship odds, Raptors remain steady
- Protests engulf Khan al-Ahmar as Israeli forces gear up for demolition
- European Parliament rejects EU copyright law
- UAE set to pump more oil to stabilise market
- Using Samsung smartphone? It may be sending your photos to contacts