However, Russia had enjoyed a far more positive start in thrashing Saudi Arabia 5-0 to snap a seven-game run without a win heading into the tournament and their greater confidence showed early on.
As the hosts of the 2018 World Cup, Russia's minimum goal is to reach the knockout stage.
Russian Federation will have also taken huge confidence from that emphatic victory last time out and that should work in their favour here against an Egypt side under pressure to come out and play, as opposed to their usual defensively disciplined tactics.
Salah, who had not played since going off injured in Liverpool's Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid last month, managed some consolation when he converted from the spot after a video assistant referee (VAR) ruling that he had been brought down by Zobnin inside the area.
Ahmed Fathy's own goal, Denis Cheryshev and Artem Dzyuba efforts in the second half put Stanislav Cherchesov's side in control at the Krestovsky Stadium. They can't score many goals against good teams. His five goals led Egypt in World Cup qualifying, but also tied him for the lead among all African players in CAF qualifying.
'Very happy' Zara and Mike Tindall welcome baby daughter
Zara and Mike, who Wednesday in July 2011 after eight years together, already have a four-year-old daughter called Mia. The baby's name has yet to revealed, but last time Mike Tindall unveiled Mia's name via his Twitter account.
A shoulder injury kept Salah out of Egypt's opening game against Group A favourites Uruguay, in which the team from north Africa were beaten 1-0.
The record amount for a World Cup is six in 1998. They shouted every time Salah's face flashed up on the big screen and when his name was announced before kickoff.
"It is hard to say this but in the World Cup you have to wait until the very last minute, although it's true that our chances are minimal".
"To play in a World Cup and experience this atmosphere is a dream you hope will never end".
Egypt lost their first game of the tournament to Uruguay and they know they need a result here if they are to keep alive their ambition of getting out of the Group. So if Uruguay loses to the Saudis, things might get weird.
- Apple Fined as Customers Win a Right-to-Repair Fight
- Southgate Tube Incident: Police Investigate 'Minor Explosion' At North London Station
- Senegal punishes Poland for mistakes in 2-1 win
- Google Pixel 3 XL Leak Reveals Phone With Single Rear Camera Array
- Trump administration withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council
- Deadly shooting at all-night arts festival in New Jersey
- Belgium vs Panama Live Streaming India, IST time: When & where to watch
- Seth MacFarlane Donates $2.5 Million to NPR After Tweet About Fox Network
- Senegal Has the Best Fans at the World Cup
- Woman strangles bobcat to death with her bare hands