Nomination comes after historic meeting with North Korean leader. The prize would be next year's because the deadline for this year has already passed.
Norwegian Progress Party leaders nominated the USA president a day after the summit ended. Trump was nominated by two right-wing members of Norway's Progress Party, which advocates for limited immigration and lower taxes.
Christian Tybring-Gjedde and Per-Willy Amundsen, members of the Progress Party, said Trump has "taken a huge and important step in the direction of the disarmament, peace and reconciliation between North and South Korea", Norwegian news agency NTB said, the Associated Press reported.
The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded to someone "who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses", according to the prize's website.
"Since taking office, President Trump has worked tirelessly to apply maximum pressure on North Korea to end its illicit weapons programs and bring peace to the region".
Telltale is working on a Stranger Things game
It is more high-profile than the titles that precede it there, thanks entirely to the Telltale connection. TechRadar's sources suggested that an announcement of the partnership "could happen any day".
The North Korean situation has been rocky as it has unfolded, but there has been significant progress.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in said in April that Trump deserved the prize.
Trump's summit with Kim is the first time a USA president had met face to face with a North Korean leader.
While South Korean President Moon Jae-in, former U.S. president Jimmy Carter and British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson have all suggested Trump could deserve the Nobel, many specialists, including historian Asle Sveen and Henrik Urdal, the head of the Peace Research Institute of Oslo (Prio), have argued it is a bit premature. This year stands in stark contrast to last year, when Trump and Kim traded barbs and threats. North Korea also agreed to return the remains of American military personnel killed in that country during the Korean War from 1950 to 1953.
- Woman Gets Head Stuck In Truck’s Exhaust Pipe
- Picture worth a thousand words: Trump, Merkel 'standoff' captures G-7 tensions
- Report expected to criticize Comey actions in Clinton email case
- Millie Bobby Brown deletes Twitter account over memes
- Robbie Williams Mars World Cup Middle Finger With His Music
- E3 2018: Daemon Ex Machina Announced During Nintendo Direct
- ARCTIC BLAST: Trump SLAMS Canada’s Trudeau Over G7 Comments
- Kim summit drew global reaction, with many expressing cautious hope
- Dana White Sets New Date for Face-to-Face Conor McGregor Meeting
- Central Colorado wildfire likely human-caused