No deaths have been reported, but 60 people have been sickened in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, and Ohio.
Most of those infected with the salmonella strain bought pre-cut melons, including cantaloupe, watermelon, or a fruit salad mix with melon, at one of the stores, according to state officials.
"The Illinois Department of Public Health is urging people not to eat pre-cut melon purchased from any Walmart store in Illinois, or any of the other affected states, at this time", said IDPH Director Nirav D. Shah, M.D., J.D.
Will County Health Department Environmental Health Director Tom Casey says there are two sources of information that can help consumers determine if they have pre-cut melons that may be unsafe. Whole melons are not included in this recall.
Illnesses have been recorded in IL (6), in (11), MI (32), Missouri (10) and OH (1). Walmart stores in IL have removed pre-cut melons linked to this outbreak from their shelves.
Griezmann: Today isn't the day to discuss my future
Atletico Madrid ace Antoine Griezmann has declared he's made a decision about his future - but will not announcement it. He had previously stated the matter would be sorted before the World Cup, which begins on Thursday.
Only pre-cut melon is affected by the recall.
Use or consumption of products contaminated with Salmonella may result in serious illness.
Caito Foods has seized production and distribution of the melons.
More cases may be reported in the coming two weeks.
The CDC suggests throwing away any fresh-cut melon products from these retailers or if you can't remember where it was purchased.
"Reports of illnesses linked to these products are under investigation, and Caito Foods is voluntarily recalling the products out of an abundance of caution", the company stated. The melon products have been recalled. Most people can recover from the illness one their own, but if the infection manages to make the jump from the digestive system to the blood stream it can eventually result in death unless medical treatment is administered. Cases are usually worse in young people, the elderly and those with already compromised immune symptoms.
- Jose Mourinho Still Keen To Agree Deal With Controversial Midfielder
- After a well-deserved break, when will Triple Crown victor Justify race again?
- Few showers, storms possible Tuesday: Hot and humid rest of the week
- Virginia's 2018 Midterm Primary is Tuesday
- 'We have a deal,' Greece says on decades-old Macedonian name dispute
- Coetzer wants Scotland to enjoy the moment after their victory over England
- Justify's stablemate Restoring Hope accused of blocking at Belmont Stakes
- Triple Crown victor Justify is a horse with a Canadian connection
- All the Highlights from Bethesda's E3 Showcase
- AT&T, Time Warner Merger Approved by Judge