According to United States news outlets, the children, aged seven and eight, told police they had to ride in the kennels as there was no room in their grandmother's Ford Explorer, but they were regularly checked on.
A concerned witness took the disturbing mobile phone footage of 62-year-old Leimome Cheeks letting her grandkids out of dog kennels, reports the Daily Mail.
The two children involved are now being questioned by the police, who told them that Mrs Cheeks claimed there was not enough space in the truck for them to sit safely.
Police said there were two children, ages 7 and 8, placed in the cages.
Cheeks said that she checked on the children periodically and they were later let into the back of the vehicle. "If she did that, then that's out of character for her", neighbor Eugene Richmond told WREG.
"When I saw her face on Facebook", she said, "I was like, wait a minute, that looks like my neighbor across the street".
House Republicans Hope They Can Find an Immigration Compromise
Republican leaders began convening the talks between moderate and conservative Republicans when dueling uprisings collided. By 53 percent to 31 percent, voters say they'd be less likely to support a lawmaker who votes with Trump down the line.
Mrs Cheeks neighbours' expressed their horror at the incident, with residents calling the grandmother a woman of strong faith.
"I'm just so sad for the babies", neighbor Nikita Blake told the station.
Police say that the children are okay. WATN said it attempted to contact Cheeks at her home over the weekend, but no one answered the door.
Cheeks is scheduled to appear in court on Monday, June 11, 2018.
"I think she needs some help".
According to the Commercial Appeal, Cheeks posted a $100 bond and was released Sunday.
- Few showers, storms possible Tuesday: Hot and humid rest of the week
- Colorado fire forces evacuation of more homes
- Devolver Digital E3 2018: Metal Wolf Chaos XD
- Rose McGowan indicted on cocaine charge in Loudoun Co
- George and Charlotte goof off at William's polo match
- Washington opens de facto embassy in Taiwan, angering China
- Kyrie Irving says signing extension with Celtics "just doesn’t make any sense"
- Super Eagles land in Russian Federation
- Tesla is laying off about 3,600 workers
- AT&T, Time Warner Merger Approved by Judge