"I'm certainly in favour of that", Merkel said in a German television interview.
Trump left the meeting between the world's leading industrialized countries with a warning to USA allies, saying that if they don't remove trade barriers with the US then they will face consequences.
Merkel said the G7 leaders had agreed to review their trade ties and assess the scope of existing tariffs in order to avoid further trade barriers. She further said that the United States tariffs were "illegal and unjustified" and Canada did not believe in using "ad hominem attacks".
Trump departed early from the Quebec meeting Saturday to head to Singapore for his summit with North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un.
USA Today also added that "if a picture is worth 1,000 words, Angela Merkel has some thoughts", noting that the chancellor posted the photo on her Instagram with the following caption: "Day two of the G7 summit in Canada: spontaneous meeting between two working sessions".
Trump revoked his administration's support for the G-7 communique after Trudeau's news conference.
Trump and Merkel: A study in contrasting G7 images
"The withdrawal by tweet is, of course, sobering and a bit depressing as well", she told Germany's Anne Will talk show on Sunday evening.
Even so, dialogue with the U.S. president must continue and global partnerships aren't over, she said.
There was much speculation at the G7 summit about whether the leaders would be able to agree on enough to issue a joint communiqué, given serious differences over trade and climate change policies.
She also spoke about Trump's suggestion that Russian Federation be readmitted to the G-7, from which it was booted after its annexation of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014.
Nearly 18 months into Trump's presidency, Merkel's comments offered renewed evidence of Germany's struggle to adapt to an upended relationship with the US.
The official said disagreements remain, particularly with the USA on a number of issues, but the goal remains to reach agreement on all the big issues.
Turning to Russia, Merkel said she could imagine Moscow re-joining the G7 format at some point, but there first had to be progress in the implementation of the peace plan for Ukraine.
Trump Kim summit: Both leaders are in place
The meetings also served as an ice breaker of sorts as the teams worked to get better acquainted after decades of minimal U.S. Pompeo, who led the outreach as Central Intelligence Agency director, traveled twice to North Korea for preliminary talks.
- Halo Infinite may be next-gen, and may be single-player only
- Tony Awards winners take the stage to accept their gongs
- Cristiano Ronaldo Reportedly 'Angry' at 'Derisory' Real Madrid Contract Offer
- Jaguar Land Rover moves Discovery production to Slovakia
- Springboks Schalk Brits recalled England Test Bloemfontein
- ‘I took bullets’: Weepy Dennis Rodman claims credit for Trump-Kim summit
- Amazon steps up Prime rollout at Whole Foods
- Tesla's Autopilot to get 'full self-driving feature' in August
- Watch the Square Enix E3 2018 press conference live stream right here
- Tottenham striker Kane knows he needs to break World Cup scoring hoodoo