The woman, Shizuka Matsuki, was attacked by a 12-foot, 6-inch alligator when she was walking in the Silver Lakes Rotary Nature Park in south Florida. Officials confirmed her identity later that evening after discovering some of her limbs in the alligator's stomach.
"It's not uncommon for her to go there", neighbor Peter Limia told the Sun Sentinel.
One of the dogs was found with a fresh wound, but Matsuki was missing.
The Isla del Sol Homeowners Association in Plantation reportedly issued the wildlife alert on Wednesday in an email that urged residents to "exercise caution with our families and pets, mindful that alligators, snakes, and other wildlife may be in the area".
"This tragedy is heartbreaking for everyone involved, and our honest condolences go out to the family and friends of the victim at this time", Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Rob Klepper told KPLG-TV.
French Open 2018: Nadal defeats Thiem to win 11th title
I had a long and mentally tough clay court season because I played nearly all possible matches after coming from an injury. In fact the only thing to trouble Nadal unduly was a tightening up of his arm midway through the third set.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Saturday it will be "conducting a thorough investigation into this incident".
According to Key West Aquarium, alligator attacks on humans are considered rare, with 23 recorded fatalities since the early 1970's.
Friends also said Matsuki's husband had warned her to stay clear of the lake area because he previously spotted alligators there.
Witnesses saw a woman with the dogs, then later noticed the dogs alone, barking near the water.
Jeff Polhman, Davie's Assistant Director of Parks, said to the newspaper that trappers had been hired within the last 18-24 months in a bid to capture the alligator, but they had not had any success. According to the Florida state wildlife commission, the likelihood of a Florida resident being seriously injured during an unprovoked alligator incident is roughly one in 3.2m.
- Unbeaten Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua appear poised for title unification bout
- Watchdog Blasts Amazon for Conditions at Chinese Echo Factory
- Springboks Schalk Brits recalled England Test Bloemfontein
- Category 3 Hurricane Bud heads north off Mexico
- Looks like Ariana Grande may have already debuted her engagement ring
- Merkel disappointed by Trump’s u-turn on G7 statement
- Domino's Pizza offering to fill in potholes nominated by customers
- Tea Towels Can Put You At Risk For Food Poisoning, Research Says
- Nintendo may have accidentally just confirmed ‘Fortnite’ for Switch
- Marca: Real Madrid for Conte?