The Scottish writer, 52, who has been a teacher in state schools for almost 30 years, is made an MBE for services to literature in the Queen's Birthday Honours.
Liverpool football great Kenny Dalglish has told of his pride at being knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours, following his steadfast support for the Hillsborough families in their lengthy quest for justice.
He also speaks regularly around the world about improving wellbeing at work.
"I am particularly pleased that this honour goes to a colleague who works at the frontline of our services day-in day-out, providing the best quality care and inspiring others".
Take Mary Brennan, the 67-year-old who will be given a British Empire Medal for her work with a local gardening group and a lunch club for vulnerable people that runs at St Hilda's Church, or Phil Gomersall, the 72-year-old from Rawdon, who will also receive a British Empire Medal for services to horticulture and Lorraine Long, whose 36 years of fostering in Leeds will earn her an MBE.
Trump adviser says there’s a ‘special place in hell’ for Canadian leader
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has lambasted the US President Donald Trump's decision to renege on the G7 joint statement . Right after leaving the meet and Canada, Trump tweeted, "Justin acts hurt when called out!".
The brother of aid worker David Haines, who was murdered by Islamic State extremists, is made an OBE for his work against terrorism.
"I have had the privilege to work with some exceptional women over my 56-year career and I think we have managed to not only promote the interests of a key United Kingdom industry, but also provide the nurturing and support for young women in business that was simply not there when I started in 1962", said Neville.
Defoe added that he feels "blessed and humbled" to get the honour, described it as his biggest achievement to date.
Speaking on the news, Chair of Shakespeare's Globe and former Chair of Charity ActionAidUK, Margaret Casely-Hayford said she was "thrilled" to learn that she has been awarded a CBE and that her brother Gus Casely-Hayford, the broadcaster and historian, who was recently appointed Director of the Smithsonian Museum of African Art in Washington DC., is to receive an MBE in the same Honours list. Fenella has appeared on stage professionally for sixty-six years.
- Trump withdraws endorsement of G7 joint statement, slams 'weak' Trudeau
- Neymar shines as Brazil beats Austria 3-0 in friendly
- Anthony Bourdain opened up about depression battle on Parts Unknown
- Supreme Court allows Ohio to purge voters for not voting
- Poundworld enters administration today, putting thousands of jobs at risk
- Prince Harry and Duchess of Sussex to visit Australia, Fiji
- Prey's Mooncrash DLC is available right the heck now
- Kylie Jenner Deletes All Photos Of Stormi's Face From Instagram
- Skyrim Very Special Edition Is Real and You Can Download It Now
- Bill would keep 4 New Jersey casinos in sports betting game