This historical analysis doesn't lend itself to fancying Thiem's chances of denying Nadal an 11th French Open title this afternoon, and neither did my model pricing either.
The victory also allowed the 32-year-old Spaniard to hold onto the No. 1 ranking.
The number of Grand Slam finals now contested by Nadal, extending his position at second on the men's Open Era leaderboard, behind Federer (30) and ahead of Djokovic (21) and Lendl (19).
The No. 7-seeded Thiem, a 24-year-old from Austria, appeared in his first Grand Slam final. But after, the Spaniard was imperious.
Up a break at 2-1 in the third set, Nadal stopped serving after a fault because he couldn't straighten his left middle finger. At the following changeover, Nadal was given a salt pill by a doctor and had his left forearm massaged by a trainer.
Job Losses Top 7K in May, Jobless Rate Stays Put
Goods-producing industries led the way lower, shedding 29k positions due to weakness in manufacturing and construction. Provincially, B.C.'s unemployment rate nudged downward to 4.8 per cent, down from 5.0 per cent.
Come rain or shine, the passing of the years or a worrying attack of cramp in the hand, nothing seems to be able to stop Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros.
Katherine Lam is a breaking and trending news digital producer for Fox News. But from 4-all in the opening set, Nadal grabbed five games in a row and was in charge.
Nadal struck 26 winners to Thiem's 34 yet made only 24 unforced errors to Thiem's 42, with "unforced errors" a relative term in Nadal Roland Garros matches.
Nadal's Barcelona Open semifinal win over David Goffin was his 400th tour-level clay-court match win, making him the fourth man in the Open Era to win 400 matches on clay, after Vilas (659), Manuel Orantes (502) and Muster (422).
In a 10-minute second game of the second set, Thiem suffered more trauma.
"I am sure you will win here in the next couple of years", Nadal told Thiem afterward.
- Nadal wins 11th French Open title
- Doug Ford to transition to power in Ontario over next three weeks
- Government will hold off releasing American back to Syria
- BT Group CEO Gavin Patterson is to Step Down Later in 2018
- Nabil Fekir deal is off, confirm Lyon
- Adam Putnam: No more lapses in background checks
- Rival campaigns welcome Supreme Court ruling on abortion services
- Vienna being considered as venue for possible Putin-Trump summit
- Taliban announces first cease-fire against Afghan forces for Eid al-Fitr
- Watch Kitty Hawk's all-new personal flying vehicle take to the skies