The storm formed weeks earlier before June 26, the average date of the first eastern Pacific hurricane.
In 2017, the basin saw 18 named storms, 9 of which become hurricanes, with 4 classified as major storms (category 3 or higher).
Aletta is located about 500 miles west of Mexico's west coast and is moving even farther away from land over the Pacific Ocean.
Some outer rainbands could push ashore, at times, possibly triggering local flash flooding if they persist in any area for a few hours at a time.
Aletta becomes first hurricane of eastern Pacific season | Tri-City Herald
Eventually, Bud could help trigger a surge of moisture in the Desert Southwest where an increase in showers and storms may occur late in the week or next weekend. Aletta should strengthen over the next couple days before weakening back to a tropical storm midday Sunday and a tropical depression midday Tuesday.
Infrared satellite imagery now shows that Aletta continues to lose organization and has become less symmetric.
The east Pacific hurricane season, which starts on May 15 each year, has its first official hurricane. It was upgraded to a Category 3 storm on Friday.
While it may seem odd for the Pacific's first storm to be so strong, Weather.com meteorologist Jonathan Erdman discovered it's not all that uncommon.
New Mars discoveries advance case for possible life
In addition to finding organic molecules in the rocks in Gale Crater , rover scientists are reporting another intriguing finding. JPL's Christopher Webster, lead author on the study, said it's the first time Martian methane has shown a repeated pattern.
- Trump withdraws endorsement of the G7 communique
- Eunice Gayson, the First Bond Girl, Dies at 90
- Rafael Nadal beats Dominic Thiem for his 11th French Open title
- Donald Trump rejects G7 communique as he brands Justin Trudeau 'weak'
- Job Losses Top 7K in May, Jobless Rate Stays Put
- Rival campaigns welcome Supreme Court ruling on abortion services
- Rudy Giuliani Shares His Insights About Woman's Appearance, Career
- Government will hold off releasing American back to Syria
- Israeli troops shoot dead relative of Ahed Tamimi
- Donald Trump Pre-Disinvites NBA Champs To White House