Right now Apple only uses OLED on one iPhone - the iPhone X - and most rumors suggest that of the three suspected iPhone models launching this year, two will get OLED screens, while one will stick with LCD.
A representative at Apple's South Korea office was not available for comment.
Apple recently started planning new iPhone models and decided all three models would have OLED (organic light-emitting diode) panels, the report said on Monday, citing multiple unnamed industry sources.
"It is unlikely that Apple will be releasing three OLED models next year", said Jeff Pu, an analyst at Taipei-based Yuanta Securities Investment Consulting. However, OLED displays being only used in high-end iPhones will come to an end next year, reports Reuters. The other major OLED supplier, LG Display Co.
Besides lava and ash, Hawaii volcano is pumping out 'vog'
Vog - or volcanic smog - is a haze created when sulfur dioxide gas and other volcanic pollutants settle with moisture and dust. The plant, Puna Geothermal Venture, lies on the southeast flank of the volcano, nestled between residential neighborhoods.
Samsung is now Apple's sole OLED supplier, a situation the California tech giant has been trying to remedy all through the past year.
If true, Apple's move would be negative for JDI and Sharp, which have so far been unable to mass produce OLEDs and now supply LCD screens.
This is something of a new development; previous reports stated the company planned to release two OLED iPhone X-type models and a low-priced LCD model with a 6.1-inch display this September. The inclusion of the an OLED screen on the iPhone X is likely one of the reasons for the device's massive price tag.
Apple is expected to use OLED displays in its second-generation iPhone X and the larger "iPhone X Plus", says MacRumors.
- Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich emigrates to Israel
- President puts Italy on path to fresh polls
- Maryland's Ellicott City inundated by flash floods; crews conduct water rescues
- Iran should be denied any military presence in Syria
- Federal Bureau of Investigation warns of cyber threat targeting small businesses, reboot your router
- Starbucks to Close Stores Tuesday to Conduct Anti-Bias Training
- WWE Rumors: John Cena, Nikki Bella Reunite As Couple After Short Breakup
- Stanley Cup: Vegas Golden Knights beat Washington Capitals in Game 1 thriller
- ‘School shooter’ video game to be released next week amid outrage
- U.S., North Korean teams work to salvage Trump-Kim summit