As per details by West Bengal State Election Commission of the 2013 Elections, the Left Front won 2 Zilla Parishads (of the 17 contested), 20 Panchayat Samitis and 708 Gram Panchayat whereas the Congress was victorious in 2 Zilla Parishads, 66 in Panchayat Samitis and 233 Gram Panchayats.
The repoll was necessitated following largescale violence on May 14 single phase panchayat election in 20 districts of the state in which some 26 people have been killed so far during polling day and post-poll violence. TMC has won 274 seats and leading in 128. The ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) has won 34 per cent of seats unopposed.
The single-phase rural polls in the state on Monday saw large-scale violence and clashes between opposing political outfits throughout the day even as more than 60,000 armed personnel and 80,000 civic volunteers were deployed to guard close to 58,000 polling booths.
TMC is leading in 204 seats of zilla parishad, as per reports.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had attacked the Mamata Banerjee government over the violence in the panchayat polls and called it "murder of democracy".
After Guerrero's World Cup ban, union seeks new doping rules
But, per Sky Sports , the Court of Arbitration (CAS) for Sport upheld an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency to extend said ban after it expired this month.
According to the sources, if the counting for the 31,834 gram panchayat seats - excluding the 16,814 uncontested seats - is done first, people might have to wait longer to know the complete set of panchayat poll results. It was nothing but a murder of democracy.
The state administration, however, claimed only six of those deaths were poll-related, State Election Commission (SEC) said. The votes are to be counted on Thursday. "It is unfortunate", Modi said.
Authorities have made elaborate security arrangements in the poll bound areas in order to hold elections in a free and fair manner.
Taking note of the incident, the Ministry of Home Affairs also sought a report from the state government regarding incidents of violence during Panchayat Election in the state.
- Riz Ahmed Wants to Write 'Ms. Marvel' With Mindy Kaling
- Ebola Vaccine Land DR. Congo
- YouTube is crediting music creators in more than 500 million videos
- Apple sues Samsung for $1 billion in design patent violation
- Kent State graduate celebrates by strolling campus with her AR-10
- Once again, Supreme Court defers Joseph's reiteration decision
- Austrian Thiem crashes in Rome, Simona Halep defeats Japan's Osaka
- Italian great Gianluigi Buffon set to announce retirement
- Sky and HBO to make documentary about Serial subject Adnan Syed
- US Senate votes to restore and save Net Neutrality