Populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, a long-time adversary of the United States, has all but won Iraq's parliamentary election, the electoral commission said, in a surprise turn of fortune for the Shiite leader. The alliance is headed by Hadi al-Amiri, a former minister of transport with close ties to Iran who became a senior commander of paramilitary fighters in the fight against the Islamic State extremist group.
Strengthened by his apparent victory in Saturday's polls, black-turbaned Sadr could now push his nationalist agenda that has seen him pledge to curb foreign meddling in Iraq. The government should be formed within 90 days of the official results.
The surprising upset in elections this weekend by Mr. Sadr's unlikely alliance of communists, Sunni businessmen and pious community activists comes amid long-simmering anger at the established politicians who have controlled government since Iraq's first democratic election in 2005 after the fall of dictator Saddam Hussein.
Abadi - who came to power in 2014 as IS rampaged across Iraq - has balanced off the USA and Iran during his time at the helm.
Since he did not run for a seat, he will not be eligible for the role.
Italy appoint Mancini as national team coach
Gallen, Switzerland on May 28 before matches against two more Russia-bound teams France and the Netherlands early next month. Since leaving Etihad Stadium in 2013, Mancini also managed Galatasaray and Inter Milan before joining Zenit in June 2017.
Suleimani has reportedly called for a union between Abadi's bloc, the Conquest Alliance of former anti-Daesh commander Ameri and former premier Nouri al-Maliki.
Nineveh is Iraq's second largest province after Baghdad, which went to a list organized by the influential Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.
Political sources told AFP that two meetings have been held under Iranian guidance to bring together several political blocs.
Sadr made a witty suggestion on Twitter as to who might be included in a future ruling coalition.
- Euro super league will beat EPLl: Wenger
- Drake announces 'Aubrey and the Three Amigos Tour' with Migos
- Cannes 2018: Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman gets 8-minute standing ovation
- Walk The Star Studded Red Carpet For 'Solo
- Nikki Bella Reacts to John Cena's Candid Admission: 'I'm Speechless'
- RAGE 2 Gains New Gameplay Trailer Showing Weapons And Vehicles
- Iranians killed in Israeli strikes in Syria, says monitor
- Co-pilot 'sucked halfway' out of cockpit on Chinese airline after window breaks
- Tiger gets the loud roars, but Webb has the bite
- Babayaro, Ugbade React To Rohr's 30-Man World Cup Squad