Colorado Parks and Wildlife announced that officers killed a bear Sunday night, believed to have been the one that injured a 5-year-old girl early Sunday morning near Grand Junction.
The girl's mother heard her screaming, went outside and started screaming at the bear, causing it to drop the girl.
Doctors expect the girl to 'mend very well, ' though they will continue to monitor her to make sure she does not develop any infections or rabies, hospital spokeswoman Teri Cavanagh said Monday.
While the child has not been officially identified, her father, Duane Cyr, has reportedly confirmed she is his daughter, Kimberly Cyr. "She's hurting pretty good", he said during the call. She is at St. Mary's Medical Center in Grand Junction and listed as in fair condition.
"Residents are asked to secure trash, keep pet food inside and immediately report any bear sightings in this neighborhood, or any residential area", the agency said.
The sheriff's office updated deputies have concluded their investigation into the young girl being attacked by a bear in the backyard of the family's home after 2:30 a.m. on May 13.
Teacher shot dead after having sex with student
The Beaver County Coroner's Office has ruled DelTondo's death a homicide, saying she died of multiple gunshots to the chest. The death has stunned neighbors in the quiet neighborhood and police are hunting for clues to the identity of the killer.
Authorities have set three traps for the bear.
Colorado has an estimated 17,000 to 20,000 bears, a population that's considered robust in a state of 5.7 million people that also attracts many tourists.
Last month, a hungry bear got locked inside a vehicle in Boulder County, Kansas.com reported. When she got up to come inside, the bear grabbed her and "ripped her from the door". The area is nestled between the Gunnison and Colorado rivers, which provide corridors for migrating wildlife.
Based on the description of the bear and its behavior, wildlife officers are confident the dead bear is the same bear involved in the attack on the girl. Results are expected within about a week.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife says officers are tracking the bear with the help of federal wildlife officers.
- Scottish Parliament Votes To Refuse Consent For Britain's Brexit Bill
- European Union warns Brexit Britain: 'The clock is ticking'
- Criminal case dropped against sitting US governor
- Kashmiri Family Allegedly Thrashed by Neighbours in Delhi, Accused Deny Charge
- Home Depot Misses Revenue Target
- Elon Musk Describes Improvements to SpaceX's Falcon 9 Block 5 Rocket
- School, police provide a lesson in handling senior class pranks
- Facebook Deletes 500 Million Fake Accounts In Effort To Clean Up Network
- Khloé Kardashian Explains How She Chose True As Her Daughter's Name
- NBC5 Forecast: Warm and Humid with Hit and Miss Storms Possible