While Carrick might be hanging up his boots, his United team-mates still have the FA Cup final against Chelsea to prepare for.
Left-back is a position that Premier League runners-up United are evidently desperate to address, with Luke Shaw having made just eight top-flight starts this season amid a hard relationship with Mourinho.
On Saturday, Ray's wife Jackie Wilkins, will present the trophy from the Royal Box to the winners at full-time.
But despite these issues, De Gea recently stated he wants someone else to win Manchester United's Player of the Year award next season instead of him, hinting perhaps he is set to stay.
Whilst not as all-action as some of his peers, such as Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard, Carrick's cool head in the middle of the park has made him one of the most consistent performers in the modern Premier League era.
'Memory transplant' achieved in snails
The scientists gave mild electric shocks to the tails of a species of marine snail called Aplysia californica . Professor Glanzman stressed the marine snails were not hurt by the experiment, but they were alarmed.
McTominay started United's final Premier League game against Watford as part of a breakthrough campaign that has seen him make 22 appearances to date and start in key games against Chelsea, Liverpool and Sevilla in the Premier League and Champions League.
They had to watch on on Monday night though as local rivals Manchester City celebrated their emphatic title win with an open-top bus tour.
Jose Mourinho has picked out that player and it's, surprise-surprise, Anthony Martial.
"I am confused by that, and Jose Mourinho probably is at times too, because the performance levels are up and down so much". You think how have they gone that low, and then here's something else.
United's second place is their highest finish since winning the title in 2013, and despite the slow progress, the Spanish keeper isn't completely happy with where United are now at. That's an attack for next season.
Do you think United will need to spend big in the off-season in order to catch City?
- Brazil Announce 23-man World Cup Squad
- 'Last Man Standing' gets second life at Fox
- Lenovo teases a slick, all-screen smartphone that doesn't have a notch
- RAGE 2 Gains New Gameplay Trailer Showing Weapons And Vehicles
- Iranians killed in Israeli strikes in Syria, says monitor
- Walk The Star Studded Red Carpet For 'Solo
- Tiger gets the loud roars, but Webb has the bite
- Cauvery row: Centre suggests 9-member panel to regulate water distribution
- PSG: Thomas Tuchel Replaces Unai Emery As Manager
- Guillermo del Toro Set to Bring Horror Anthology Series to Netflix