Power Minister Piyush Goyal will temporarily take additional charge of the finance ministry until Finance Minister Arun Jaitley recovers after undergoing a kidney transplant, the country's president said in statement on Monday.
Goyal has been given the additional charge of the Finance Ministry till Jaitley fully recovers from his ailment and gets ready to return, added the source. In a sudden Cabinet reshuffle of the Modi government on Monday night, Smriti Irani was removed as the Information and Broadcasting minister.
Irani has been replaced by her deputy Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, who will hold independent charge of the I&B ministry. Piyush Goyal is now the Railway Minister. Jaitley had undergone a renal transplant surgery at AIIMS in Delhi earlier in the day.
In Goyal's case, sources say that Modi was aware of the adverse optics of the move even earlier and had chose to keep the finance ministry with the PMO for the eight weeks it would take Jaitley to get back in to office after recuperating from his surgery. However, Smriti retains her textiles portfolio. He continues as Minister of State for Tourism. Sources familiar with the decision-making process said there were already two MoS and a full-time minister in Uma Bharati at the relatively small drinking water and sanitation ministry. Her Ministry's move to punish journalists for fake news had led to a furore with the media fraternity terming it an attempt to curb its freedom.
Lincolnshire child mental health referrals double
The Mental Health Minutre is being spearheaded by Radiocentre and Radio Academy and executed by content agency Somethin' Else. It's believed community and voluntary services, such as the helpline, are a lifeline to rejected children.
Even Lok Sabha elections are held in stipulated time next year, Piyush Goyal is a flawless person to come up with a populist sensible budget which can woo voters towards BJP before the elections.
Irani, whose stint was marked by controversy, retains charge of the textile ministry.
Irani took charge of the I&B Ministry in July previous year after Venkaiah Naidu resigned following his nomination as a Vice President candidate. The run up to the movie's release also saw violent protests and an unofficial ban on the film in several BJP-ruled states, despite being cleared by the Central Board of Film Certification, which is under the information and broadcasting ministry.
- Overwatch Anniversary Event to Celebrate Both the New and the Old
- 'The House That Jack Built' Trailer Shows Off Brutality
- Airline co-pilot 'sucked halfway' out cockpit window, reports say
- Salmonella outbreak linked to tainted eggs
- 3-year-old pees during marriage proposal
- Dozens killed in Gaza as United States opens Jerusalem embassy
- United States diplomat involved in road accident in Pakistan returns home amid controversy
- Microsoft's New Xbox Controller with Dual-Programmable Touchpad Leaked Online
- Airtel denies Jio's charges over Apple Watch 3 service
- Italy's M5S leader asks for "a few more days" to form government