The 53-year-old has been heavily linked with the Italy job, the Azzurri now seeking a new head coach following the dismissal of Gian Piero Ventura.
Since leaving the Etihad five years ago, the 53-year-old has worked at Galatasaray and Internazionale before heading to Russian Federation to manage Zenit St Petersburg last year.
The Coach has been confirmed as the new Azzurri CT, and will be presented at Coverciano tomorrow morning.
The news brings to an end Italy's exhaustive search for a permanent replacement for Gian Piero Ventura, who left his role after the World Cup play-off defeat to Sweden in November.
Irish ladies lead the way on BAFTA TV Awards red carpet
On the comedy front, " This Country " won Best Comedy Series over " Catastrophe ", "Chewing Gum" and "Timewasters". The catch-all drama acting categories pit the players in telefilms, miniseries and series against each other.
He began his coaching career with Fiorentina in 2001 and won the Coppa Italia in his first season even though the club was plagued by financial problems.
Italy host Saudi Arabia in St. Gallen, Switzerland on May 28 before matches against two more Russia-bound teams France and the Netherlands early next month.
Since leaving Etihad Stadium in 2013, Mancini also managed Galatasaray and Inter Milan before joining Zenit in June 2017.
As well as Mancini, Carlo Ancelotti, Claudio Ranieri and Chelsea's Antonio Conte had been linked with the position, which had been held by caretaker manager Luigi Di Biagio, the coach of Italy's under-21 side.
- Brazil Announce 23-man World Cup Squad
- Salmonella outbreak linked to tainted eggs
- WWE women and Triple H at the NBC Upfront presentation
- Samsung to launch new Series A and J smartphones
- Walk The Star Studded Red Carpet For 'Solo
- Ireland Can Dream of Remarkable Debut Test Win Against Pakistan
- Microsoft's New Xbox Controller with Dual-Programmable Touchpad Leaked Online
- USA offers to help rebuild N Korea economy if it denuclearises
- Explosive found in South African mosque days after knife attack
- Heavy clashes in W. Afghanistan city as major Taliban offensive kicks off