Radical Heights and LawBreakers developer Boss Key Productions has closed, according to a tweet sent out by studio head Cliff Bleszinski, better known by his nickname CliffyB. Bleszinkski announced the news on Twitter in a statement that reflects how hard it is for an independent studio to stay afloat.
Boss Key Productions was founded in 2014 and the studio immediately began work on LawBreakers. A shift to a free-to-play model was discussed, although more recently the studio announced it would move the bulk of its efforts to a new game, Radical Heights, which attempted to capitalize on the tremendous success of Fortnite and PUBG. Unfortunately, the game didn't take off and after trying to support it for nearly a year, last month Boss Key announced it would be moving on to other projects.
Bleszinski also thanked the studio's employees, friends, family, and others who supported him and the studio over the years.
Casinos: Las Vegas won't hurt from sports betting decision
He said his proposal would allow betting for college sports only, barring sports betting at the high school level. It's a historic change in the way people can bet on sporting events.
The game was notoriously ridiculed for its low player count throughout most of its life and Nexon, its publisher, even wrote the game off as a loss earlier this year. The game was well received, Bleszinski said, but conceded it was too little, too late. Servers for Radical Heights will still go on despite the closure of Boss Key Productions. Videogames will forever be a part of who I am and I hope to make something new again someday, however, I need to withdraw and take this time.
The company's initial objective was the creation of a so-called "arena shooter", the project that eventually became "LawBreakers".
Those three years of Lawbreakers development time would see the launch of shooters like Overwatch, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and Fortnite crowding the market with well-funded competition just when Boss Key needed to find a player base for its $30 game.
- Donald Trump Withdraws From Iran Nuclear Deal, Imposes Sanctions: Impact
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Why She 'Can't Wait to Get Back to LA'
- Mother denies abuse after her 10 children are taken into protective custody
- Tharoor terms charge-sheet against him 'preposterous'
- Mass evacuations possible as Hawaii volcano threatens power plant
- Horror moment planes collide on Istanbul Airport tarmac
- Sunanda Pushkar death: Tharoor dismisses charge sheet as 'preposterous'
- Christian filmmaker Ray Comfort defines bigotry for Mitt Romney
- Seattle passes a smaller version of the 'Amazon tax'
- Spanish F1 Grand Prix 2018 Results: Lewis Hamilton Dominant in Victory